San Francisco Rush Freezing?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

TrainwreckX
shadow

San Francisco Rush Freezing?

Post#1 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:35 pm

I was wondering if anyone with a copy of San Francisco Rush 2049 could help test something for me. I have had this game completely lock up on me if I leave it in "attract mode" at the title screen for about 10 minutes. It's done it to me half a dozen times, always on this screen, and I'm wondering if something is wrong with my copy of the game or if this is just potentially a bug that slipped through on that title. Midway classically had manufacturing issues with their games, so it's worth checking.

For what it's worth I'm also having a random freeze on Hydro Thunder even though I definitely have the "Hot! New!" version. These are the only two games that seem to be giving me an issue. I left Power Stone running in attract mode for an hour without it crashing. By the way, there is a stone "WHICH HAS THE POWER TO MAKE DREAMS COME TRUE!"

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Re: San Francisco Rush Freezing?

Post#2 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:48 pm

I left my legit US disc of 2049 on the title screen for 15 minutes and nothing happened.

TrainwreckX
shadow

Post#3 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:07 am

Ragfish wrote:I left my legit US disc of 2049 on the title screen for 15 minutes and nothing happened.

Thanks for testing it. After a thorough cleaning of my Dreamcast (including the inside), it's still happening but ONLY on this game. I've tried leaving other games running on the attract screen for a long time (Power Stone for 30 minutes as example). Nothing. But Rush still freezes. So I thought it was my disc maybe. But it looks great and doesn't have a lot of scratches.

jadelocked
lithium

Post#4 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:17 am

Hi I found your post because I wonder what is this "hot new version" I'm looking up what is different because the only other Rush 2049 cdi I can find is from Echelon, and they said they downsampled the music to get it to 700mb. I was wondering if "hot new version" has different music or the original quality? Maybe it doesn't matter because it looks like they missed some copy protections in the "hot new version"

Let's confirm, You are using "Hot new version" which is not the official copy ? Who made this hack? I've been searching!!! for notes on what is hot and what is new.

So Echelon mentioned in their hack: "This game had a total of 4 copy protections. It's the first serious attempt at protecting a game... It took several crackers and about 2 weeks for us to finally get this done."

I also liked this message: "***NOTE TO SEGA***: Did you know that Midway violated the developer
agreement by doing a kernel RAM checksum? If future Dreamcasts were
to have a different GD-ROM kernel, the legitimate Rush 2049 would
not work on it. If you approved it, that's fine then."

We will never know if Sega would have made Rush incompatible after GD kernel updates if they had kept manufacturing Dreamcasts. Would have been interesting.

Also where's the love for Hydro Thunder can't find a cdi anywhere luckily the full game works on SD serial port just fine;)
Although Rush doesn't work on SD serial port which brings me back to cdi searching. Would think they both work or both available as cdi but noooooooo must be too hard for individual hackers lol

So the final answer. Game wasn't programmed the best way, hackers failed to remove all copy protections, and nobody knows what "hot new version" is compared to Echelon which had several programmers working together vs. whoever made "hot new"
Note: I tried "hot new version" on the SD serial port and it froze before you can move in the menu. Music does not freeze though lol just the flashing menu icons stop flashing after like 3 seconds after game boots.
Unrelated: Aqua GT Remix works on SD serial port but I think it's a boring game no jumps like Hydro Thunder or even the jet ski racing which I also didn't like, and
DID YOU KNOW surf rocket racers is called power jet ski or something in Japan and the Japanese version is actually a major update that nobody in English has talked about online ??? only Portugese speakers are aware of the differences. Looks like Sega knew how to revamp those Euro developers of course Sega more familiar with their own console (probably didn't want unfair comparison to N64 Wave Race which is closer to first party development) but for Power Jet Racing has bigger water splash and trail when you move, the water is clearer and better graphics so maybe this archaic knowledge is keeping the game from being more popular, although I don't care about that game I'd like to see more love for Rush and Hydro Thunder that's all. Tried these other games and they are boring.

MAJOR NOTE don't nobody play Surf Rocket Racers because Power Jet Racing is a major upgrade and even works on SD serial port;)

TrainwreckX
shadow

Post#5 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:23 pm

jadelocked wrote:Hi I found your post because I wonder what is this "hot new version" I'm looking up what is different because the only other Rush 2049 cdi I can find is from Echelon, and they said they downsampled the music to get it to 700mb. I was wondering if "hot new version" has different music or the original quality? Maybe it doesn't matter because it looks like they missed some copy protections in the "hot new version"

Let's confirm, You are using "Hot new version" which is not the official copy ? Who made this hack? I've been searching!!! for notes on what is hot and what is new.

So Echelon mentioned in their hack: "This game had a total of 4 copy protections. It's the first serious attempt at protecting a game... It took several crackers and about 2 weeks for us to finally get this done."

I also liked this message: "***NOTE TO SEGA***: Did you know that Midway violated the developer
agreement by doing a kernel RAM checksum? If future Dreamcasts were
to have a different GD-ROM kernel, the legitimate Rush 2049 would
not work on it. If you approved it, that's fine then."

We will never know if Sega would have made Rush incompatible after GD kernel updates if they had kept manufacturing Dreamcasts. Would have been interesting.

Also where's the love for Hydro Thunder can't find a cdi anywhere luckily the full game works on SD serial port just fine;)
Although Rush doesn't work on SD serial port which brings me back to cdi searching. Would think they both work or both available as cdi but noooooooo must be too hard for individual hackers lol

So the final answer. Game wasn't programmed the best way, hackers failed to remove all copy protections, and nobody knows what "hot new version" is compared to Echelon which had several programmers working together vs. whoever made "hot new"
Note: I tried "hot new version" on the SD serial port and it froze before you can move in the menu. Music does not freeze though lol just the flashing menu icons stop flashing after like 3 seconds after game boots.
Unrelated: Aqua GT Remix works on SD serial port but I think it's a boring game no jumps like Hydro Thunder or even the jet ski racing which I also didn't like, and
DID YOU KNOW surf rocket racers is called power jet ski or something in Japan and the Japanese version is actually a major update that nobody in English has talked about online ??? only Portugese speakers are aware of the differences. Looks like Sega knew how to revamp those Euro developers of course Sega more familiar with their own console (probably didn't want unfair comparison to N64 Wave Race which is closer to first party development) but for Power Jet Racing has bigger water splash and trail when you move, the water is clearer and better graphics so maybe this archaic knowledge is keeping the game from being more popular, although I don't care about that game I'd like to see more love for Rush and Hydro Thunder that's all. Tried these other games and they are boring.

MAJOR NOTE don't nobody play Surf Rocket Racers because Power Jet Racing is a major upgrade and even works on SD serial port;)

Bro what are you talking about? This thread is about how my legit disc copy of Rush freezes when I try to play it in my unmodded Dreamcast.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:26 pm

lool

2049 came later in cast's lifespan, it's only the four launch Midway games that needed re-release under the red disc tint and Hot New! booklet banner

EDIT: Was not aware how much better NSTC-J Surf Rocket Racers is? Less than a month apart from NTSC-U. The DCCM ARC archive only has the PAL+NTSC-U.. pleeeease link me Power Jet CDI?