Newb gdemu setup questions

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Macabre
Feet of Fury

Newb gdemu setup questions

Post#1 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:28 am

Hello all!

I'm in the process of setting up my gdemu and am looking for some assistance.

Most of my questions are regarding setting up the SD card and that first 01 file. The official site says that file 01 is just an empty text file, while some videos I've seen say that their file 01 is a startup menu for navigating the games. Are there any guides on how exactly to do this, or any download links for the menu file I've seen in those videos?

I've also seen mixed information on the game files and how they are named in their own folders. One video comments that each game file needs to be renamed "disc.gdi" inside it's respective folder. Is this firmware dependent information?

I've read on the official site that firmware flashing isn't really recommended, and other posts here on dreamcast-talk that it may just brick the drive. Is there any way to check if my drive came with any specific firmware? It has 5.15 printed on it, but this doesn't tell me if it's actually ready to use.

Regarding the physical installation of the drive. The one I received didn't come with any screws or pegs, but all videos I've seen regarding this talk about one specific long metal screw typically included that reaches down to the metal floor (where one of the original gdrom screws connects). Is this necessary (like a ground point) for the gdemu? I have a few plastic washers I'm able to prop it up with, but if this specific point acts as a ground then I'll need to find a long screw.

And last question is regarding the steps I've seen people take regarding possible heat buildup. Most sites and videos comment about adding resistor(s) to the power board, but one specific video (this one, at 23:30 timestamp) comments about just strait up removing one of the voltage regulators. I don't see many other sites talking about this method. From experience I know that tacking on resistors doesn't always solve heating issues, but I'm not familiar enough to know the repercussions of removing an entire regulator. Anyone try this method?

Thanks for any help!
PSO Dreamcast BBA ftw @ Dreamcast-Talk.com
~ Macabre! Redria HUcast
~ Lust Purplenum RAcaseal
~Sega Trade List!~
vid's coming soon~

Macabre
Feet of Fury

Re: Newb gdemu setup questions

Post#2 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:53 pm

Just an update - I did find a live link to the gdmenu, but I've been trying to get a functional download of the sdmaker for gdemu 1.1 with little success.

Every site links to either a private download, this site links to a google drive that restricts the download, or most commonly sites just link this linking to sheephost all are down.

If anyone has a live file of the sdcard maker program that would be helpful! I'm still looking for any archived sites that may have live download links.
~ Macabre! Redria HUcast
~Sega Trade List!~
vid's coming soon~

Macabre
Feet of Fury

Post#4 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:48 pm

Nice, thank you!

I do have the clone up and working with a few test games, but am still curious about the metal screw being a ground, and also if others have feedback about removing that voltage regulator.
~ Macabre! Redria HUcast
~Sega Trade List!~
vid's coming soon~

Macabre
Feet of Fury

Post#5 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:09 am

An alternative I was considering instead of removing the regulator or tacking on an ohm resistor was just making use of the 12volt rail.

Has anyone done any mods where they found a permenant use for the rail? I could string together a few LEDs like my previous mods, although I hadn't planned on doing so with my gdemu specimen.

Has anyone done anything like that?
~ Macabre! Redria HUcast
~Sega Trade List!~
vid's coming soon~