DreamPi and Saturn NetLink

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

alexh86
lithium

DreamPi and Saturn NetLink

Post#1 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:29 pm

I hope this isn't considered off-topic for this forum.

I made a DreamPi a few years ago (probably 2016 or 2017) and it has always worked perfectly. Today I got a Saturn NetLink and I was under the impression the DreamPi would work with it. I fired up the Saturn web browser and entered the same browser configurations used with Planetweb on Dreamcast but have been unable to get past the 'dialing' stage. Anyone know of a good guide or common pitfalls? I've been unable to get my Saturn to connect to the Internet thus far. Thanks!

Xiden
Developer

Re: DreamPi and Saturn NetLink

Post#2 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:51 pm

Does it still work with your dreamcast? Sounds like maybe a Line Voltage Inducer issue. May need to summon @PCWzrd13 for assistance

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#3 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:10 pm

Did you change the "Modem Init" setting to "AT&F0"? I just got a NetLink myself and had the same issue until I changed that.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

alexh86
lithium

Post#4 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:05 pm

Thanks to both for the reply.

Since I hadn’t played Dreamcast online in a couple months, I did launch the DC web browser and confirmed everything is working there. I also checked my settings and took screenshots to make sure everything matched on the Saturn side. I am using the correct modem init value.

Maybe this is a helpful clue: After getting both green lights on the modem, the second light will often go out after the Saturn tries to dial out. I’m using the same phone cable with LVI that I use with my Dreamcast, should I be using an unaltered phone cable?

OfManNotMachine
letterbomb

Post#5 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:18 pm

Woah wait..

You can use the Dreampi with the Saturn Net Link??? Guess a Net Link is next on my list of things to get!

alexh86
lithium

Post#6 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:08 am

And the great thing is they aren’t all that expensive. I paid $30 for mine including tax and shipping and it came in flawless condition. It was obviously never used.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#7 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:40 am

alexh86 wrote:Maybe this is a helpful clue: After getting both green lights on the modem, the second light will often go out after the Saturn tries to dial out. I’m using the same phone cable with LVI that I use with my Dreamcast, should I be using an unaltered phone cable?

The second light is supposed to go out. It's indicating that something is trying to dial. And you do need a LVI, although I'm not 100% certain on the voltage requirements for the NetLink.

OfManNotMachine wrote:Woah wait..

You can use the Dreampi with the Saturn Net Link??? Guess a Net Link is next on my list of things to get!

Only for the web browser, not the games.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

lisalover1
rebel

Post#8 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:51 am

Was there ever a solution found for this? I’ve been running into the same issue with my setup.

Xiden
Developer

Post#9 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:48 pm

Honestly mine worked out of the box. Have you tried planetweb browser 4.0 ? Four d in the sega saturn VoIP guide