Dreamcast Full screen

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

JC34
lithium

Dreamcast Full screen

Post#1 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:35 pm

Hey guys, I was wondering if getting a VGA cable would allow me to use my Dreamcast in full screen without distortion or other unforeseen consequences? Since the Gamecube, to my knowledge, can be played in full screen with component cables, I was wondering if the same thing was possible for the Dreamcast? Thanks in advance!

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Re: Dreamcast Full screen

Post#2 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:09 pm

You might have to explain what you mean a little further by fullscreen without distortion. Much of how the signal is displayed will depend on your individual TV and not the cables.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

ChristinaDreamcustDC
letterbomb

Post#3 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:14 pm

I believe the VGA cables usually make a bit of a black border on the sides because of a 640x480 image in a 720x480 frame. It would not be like the GameCube, then.

JC34
lithium

Post#4 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:11 pm

I meant in terms of the picture looking zoomed in. Basically, if I put the Dreamcast in full screen without the cables. I guess what I'm trying to ask is how big can the tv be for me to be able to put my Dreamcast in fullscreen without it looking any different in terms of distortion, then if it was with composite cables.

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#5 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:13 pm

JC34 wrote:I meant in terms of the picture looking zoomed in. Basically, if I put the Dreamcast in full screen without the cables. I guess what I'm trying to ask is how big can the tv be for me to be able to put my Dreamcast in fullscreen without it looking any different in terms of distortion, then if it was with composite cables.

The cables have nothing to do with how "zoomed in" the picture is, it's how your TV displays the signal and what options is has for zoom, aspect ratio etc. so without knowing what TV or display you have I don't think we can answer that question.

On a widescreen TV, the Dreamcast picture should look like this for proper aspect ratio:

If, on the other hand, you're talking about scaling quality, the VGA cables output a much better quality picture that will scale better. It will be sharper and more artifact free than composite.

If you want no distortion, then you have to be able to display a 1:1 signal and it will be tiny on a typical 1080p display :D
1to1.jpg
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

ChristinaDreamcustDC
letterbomb

Post#6 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:25 pm

JC34 wrote:I meant in terms of the picture looking zoomed in. Basically, if I put the Dreamcast in full screen without the cables. I guess what I'm trying to ask is how big can the tv be for me to be able to put my Dreamcast in fullscreen without it looking any different in terms of distortion, then if it was with composite cables.

If the Dreamcast is full screen with composite cables then it is stretched 4:3 full screen. If you use the VGA adapter then it might be slightly unzoomed in on the sides. VGA full screen would be a bit distorted too wide on the sides for widescreen monitors, but a bit too slim on the sides for 4:3 monitors. Even tube TVs might display the VGA squished.

The squished effect only happens if your monitor does not remove the empty space on the sides through VGA. I do not know what your monitor would do.

Are you using a 4:3 monitor or a widescreen monitor?

JC34
lithium

Post#7 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:09 pm

widescreen

JC34
lithium

Post#8 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:12 pm

My tv screen is about 32 by 22in. Will it be able to fit that screen entirely or is that impossible?
Last edited by JC34 on Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JC34
lithium

Post#9 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:13 pm

Fullscreen on my Samsung is 16:9

ChristinaDreamcustDC
letterbomb

Post#10 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:27 pm

I don’t think screen size is the issue. In general, it will fit, but the left and right sides might have some left over space. I’m not sure how your TV handles VGA overscan, but I usually fine that option isn’t available over VGA. If this helps, VGA through Dreamcast is more likely to give you extra room on the sides rather than less room, so you won’t be missing more image than through composite, but you might have a little extra room. Look at the picture I posted. VGA sometimes gives a little more black on the sides regardless, no matter if you set the screen for widescreen or not.

VGA often makes it look more like the left side.