Troubles with copy protected saves

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Sega RPG

Troubles with copy protected saves

Post#1 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:41 am

So, one of my vmu got corrupted and i can only see a quarter of the files there are inside

Luckily enough i can still see my pso savegame but seems i cannot transfer it to another vmu because it's copy protected

How do i solve this?unfortunately i need to format the vmu because you know, it's full but can see only quarter the files

I do have the vmu tool but unfortunately the disc is damaged and seems not to work anymore, and at the moment i can't go out buying another, you know the quarantine...

Also i've tried to switch vmu on the fly but pso complains about not finding the original memory card

Ido have an original jap copy of the game and aleron ives repacked game was not accepting the serial, so used a shared one and can't register the game on sylverant

I guess my only chance is to buy another disc for the dream eplorer, right?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Troubles with copy protected saves

Post#2 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:04 am

Dream Explorer is the only way I know of to unlock save files unless you have a BIOS-modded Dreamcast; in which case you can flash the Japanese-Cake BIOS which unlocks all save files by default. It's extremely handy for backing up PSO saves.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#3 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:14 am

For your PSO save, is it copy protected like Soul Calibur's save files are, in that it doesn't allow direct transfer from one VMU to another?

If so, can you still load the save? If you can load the save and play it in PSO, have both the original VMU and a second VMU in the DC pad, then while playing PSO just save the game to the second VMU. That's how I've moved files like Soul Calibur to other VMUs.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:17 am

DCGX wrote:If you can load the save and play it in PSO, have both the original VMU and a second VMU in the DC pad, then while playing PSO just save the game to the second VMU. That's how I've moved files like Soul Calibur to other VMUs.

Unfortunately PSO doesn't allow you to select which VMU to save to. It just automatically saves to the same slot you loaded the character from.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Sega RPG

Post#5 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:29 pm

DCGX wrote:For your PSO save, is it copy protected like Soul Calibur's save files are, in that it doesn't allow direct transfer from one VMU to another?

If so, can you still load the save? If you can load the save and play it in PSO, have both the original VMU and a second VMU in the DC pad, then while playing PSO just save the game to the second VMU. That's how I've moved files like Soul Calibur to other VMUs.

tried already, and pso is complaining about the wrong memory card inserted...

i do guess the dream explorer is my only option...

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#6 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:06 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
DCGX wrote:If you can load the save and play it in PSO, have both the original VMU and a second VMU in the DC pad, then while playing PSO just save the game to the second VMU. That's how I've moved files like Soul Calibur to other VMUs.

Unfortunately PSO doesn't allow you to select which VMU to save to. It just automatically saves to the same slot you loaded the character from.

I didn't know that. I haven't played PSO (though I do have Ver. 2).