GDEMU questions

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

sd_dracula
shadow

GDEMU questions

Post#1 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:10 pm

Hi all,

Firstly, nice to be here and nice to see the DC scene is still alive and kicking :)
I am looking into purchasing a GDEMU device but have a few questions:

1. Not 100% if I have a VA0 or VA1 DC - it has a metal fan, can see the 3.3v on the GDROM drive, does GDEMU only work with VA1 and not 0 or 2? How do I know for sure if it's VA0 or VA1? It can play CDRs and it has a 1 on the label underneath.
2. I've seen lots of videos where people use resistors on the PSU after GDEMU to get rid of excess heat, is this needed?
3. Any point in swapping out the PSU with the pico PSU instead of doing 2?
4. GDEMU doesn't need any custom BIOS or anything right? Just loads everything from SD correct (including the GDEMU app itself)?
5. Should I look into the IDE HDD emulator? The only thing I don't like is the external look, but I can actually put my whole collection on that VS the GDEMU's max 128gb SD card.

My metal fan does not look like this one though:

Brought this guy out of storage after 10 years and I do have serial SD mod installed, but it's not the greatest as you all know.
Attachments
8c54f237-14cd-4bdf-8f77-cb7cd4696b5b.jpg

mstar
Doom

Re: GDEMU questions

Post#2 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:09 am

My PAL VA0 has a 0 in the circle underneath and also has heatpipes and the metal fan, so there's that...

I believe that yours maybe had its case / internals swapped for... reasons?

Not sure about the drive voltage of mine though, can't be bothered to open and check :)

I'm actually jealous of your kiosk - first time i've seen one with a ChuChu Rocket theme! <3

sd_dracula
shadow

Re: GDEMU questions

Post#3 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:01 am

There should be another 3 of these pods around (if they survived since 2000) one for UK/France/Italy I think, I won the Irish leg of the ChuChu Rocket competition, fun times :)

Ok I opened the DC up and again this is what the fan actually looks like. I added the reset button mod while I was in there and will I be able to do the Noctua fan mod on this you think?
I also opened up two more DCs and one has the same metal fan attached and one has the plastic fan which should work for sure with GDEMU but I rather use the one attached if compatible.
Attachments
20200411_095451.jpg