Is 200GB/256GB necessarily going to be slow on GDEMU from 128GB?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Is 200GB/256GB necessarily going to be slow on GDEMU from 128GB?

Post#1 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:51 am

reading people on reddit their cards taking a while to load game lists on a gdemu clone

I have a 128gb micro center microSD card right now and looking to upgrade.

Considering a 256GB Sandisk or maybe even just a 200GB Sandisk since I don't think I'll ever fill that one up even and hate spending money on storage I won't use... and its around mid $20's for the 200gb vs mid $30's for 256gb. Could consider Samsung too for 256gb option, in addition to Sandisk, but I've mostly bought Sandisk in the past (though I think my 128gb switch may be Samsung and its fine...)

128gb is something I can manage but I have no wiggle room and do have to manage it

so would I just format to fat32, copy+paste contents, and do future loading in gd menu maker? its that easy?

Are people that are experiencing '3-5 minute load times' for menu with something like 256gb or above 128gb, just not configuring their cards correctly or whats going on here?

because my 128gb list is near instant upon boot and I definitely don't want to introduce a few minutes of lag, might even be better off card swapping if thats the case

Also its a matter of personal preference of course, but any recommendations going 200 or 256? If I don't think I'll ever use 256, waste of money probably right? unless I want to save overhead for some magic unknown home-brew stuff in the future that I have no current view into or something / additional peace of mind

deluxux
Black Mesa

Re: Is 200GB/256GB necessarily going to be slow on GDEMU from 128GB?

Post#2 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:41 am

256gb microcenter brand is fine the reason for the loading times is most likely that one game title is to long or a special character is in a file name.

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Post#3 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:44 am

Thanks and I can just copy and paste contents to new sd card and then from there add more from gd menu maker?

I would assume so but just wanna check

And Even though I have multiple micro center microSD’s cards for multiple purposes and all have been great I’d probably opt for a Samsung or likely sandisk this time since the price is the same at the moment

I got a bunch of 128gb micro center ones for dirt cheap last year like $12 or something

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#4 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:57 am

Format as FAT32 64k cluster size, maybe use a backup program to be safe instead of copy/paste? If it has loading times, rename a game and run it again and repeat until its instant. 256gb can fill up quick after you start adding in NEOGEO CD and PSX games!!

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Post#5 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:03 pm

I forgot bleemcast will work with gdemu soon!

I have a bleemcast MGS and MGS ps1 discs I've been itching to play with it , don't want to swap back the optical drive just for that (tho I may at some point if I play through RE:CV and get to the stuck part)

hmmm dang... maybe I should just get a 256gb then

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#6 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:18 pm

BleemCast is already working with a ton of games! Just not the 3 retail discs, YET! Its called BleemShell viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12026

so what you would want to do is put Bleemshell CDI in folder say 100 and the PSX games in 101 etc after all the DC games are in.

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Post#7 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:21 pm

Total bleemcast/bleemshell noob (even though I have that mgs bleemcast disc, unused so far part of a lot of dreamcast games I got last year)

1- ..is bleemshell just a bleemcast embedded game launcher thats a cdi/gdi within gdmenu? also do you just add psx cdi's to gd menu maker too like they're dreamcast cdi's?

ELI5 please

2- Also- I have a saturn/ps2 to dreamcast controller adapter, would it play nice with this if I were to get a ps2 controller and hook it up for the second analog stick and l2/r2?

3- ...Are the titles listed on that thread in OP all verified working well or I have to sift through comments (been scanning them) to ensure compatibility?

4- And lastly, always curious of this sort of stuff even if high level - how is this done if only a few retail bleemcast discs were ever released? from the leaked bleemcast beta that was supposed to support so many more games before Sony said no to it, and modding the games themselves to play nicer with the wider supported bleemcast beta API/framework?

side question 5- Why aren't the retail bleemcast games on there, like MGS? Because the real deal needs to be ported to gdemu too?

6- is game saves an issue either to the VMU or block size wise? will I need to buy like 30 VMUs if I wanted to play 30 bleem games, like the retail bleem games taking up nearly the whole VMU?

--

I think I'm gonna wait for a 256gb microsd sale (lol) for a reputable brand, but maybe I should just opt for 256gb for peace of mind. right now with just dc and some home-brew, I only have to do a little re arranging with my 128gb. but if I'm going to buy another microsd, maybe I should get more overhead than 200gb..

was more curious about SD card sizes for gdemu in a general sense but your 'off topic' subject has made me curious lol

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#8 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:32 pm

1: you can add it under folder 01 if you like sd card with only psx
2 the buttons are mapped L2 dpad left R2 dpad right select dpad down
3 yeah im only posting playable games
4 yes using the beta so no fmv or saving
5 the retail discs have amazing copy protection
6 no saving on bleem beta only the 3 retail

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Post#9 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:45 pm

Thanks

Can you clarify 1 and 2

It has to be on a separate sd card or can be same card as the one with gdmenu somehow?

And if it has to be separate sd card it’s still same file structure as if it was gdmenu just bleemshell in 01 folder

And what do you mean button mapping wise , maybe just misread your post

Thanks

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#10 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:09 pm

say you put bleemshell in a folder all the psx.cdi need to be in the folders after. You can put it in folder 01-99

DC Analog = PSX Dpad
DC Dpad L = PSX L2
DC Dpad R = PSX R2
DC Dpad D = PSX Select