Help please! My dreamcast is restarting itself when I m trying to load xdp browser and few games

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

saptespreopt
shadow

Help please! My dreamcast is restarting itself when I m trying to load xdp browser and few games

Post#1 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:33 am

Hi everyone. I m new here,
First of all I want to say sorry for my english...
I bought a dreamcast 2 months ago with a dreampi because I wanted to play online. All the games worked fine but Sonic 3d, xdp browser and Dreamkey doesnt work, my dreamcast restart itself while booting from cd and sd with dreamshell, but no results.. quake 3 arena works fine in single player, but after I make internet configurations and press dial it does the same thing, is restarting....
I also cleaned the contact pins like all the tutorials said about that random restart, but mine is not restarting random, only before I want to load certain games and browsers...
I m verry dissapointed:(
I would appreciate any help :roll:

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Help please! My dreamcast is restarting itself when I m trying to load xdp browser and few games

Post#2 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:54 pm

Other than cleaning each of the pins of the PSU not sure what else to try. You need to clean of the oxydisation on the PSU pins of the motherboard better most likely. just take some sandpaper to the face of each pin itself on the motherboard after removing the PSU. Sand each face of every pin, blow out the dust and reasymble. Try it out and see if that makes it run any better.

Other than this I suggest looking into the Pico PSI mods for DC.

aldair
Metallic

Re: Help please! My dreamcast is restarting itself when I m trying to load xdp browser and few games

Post#3 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:27 pm

Your GD-ROM reader needs maintenance. If you have a serial sd card with dreamshell start Quke 3 Arena it will not reset.

aldair
Metallic

Post#4 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:30 pm

Make a video, it may be the defective fan controller chip.

saptespreopt
shadow

Post#5 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:36 pm

aldair wrote:Your GD-ROM reader needs maintenance. If you have a serial sd card with dreamshell start Quke 3 Arena it will not reset.

I did in both ways, is still resetting:( the screen turns black , then appear the dreamcast logo and repeat this over and over:(

saptespreopt
shadow

Post#6 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:40 pm

Anthony817 wrote:Other than cleaning each of the pins of the PSU not sure what else to try. You need to clean of the oxydisation on the PSU pins of the motherboard better most likely. just take some sandpaper to the face of each pin itself on the motherboard after removing the PSU. Sand each face of every pin, blow out the dust and reasymble. Try it out and see if that makes it run any better.

Other than this I suggest looking into the Pico PSI mods for DC.

First I cleaned normaly with alcohol, then I soldered the pins like in tutorial. I dont know what is the Pico Psi mods.
All the games work perfect except quake multiplayer, sonic and all the browsers I tried:(

aldair
Metallic

Post#7 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:40 pm

saptespreopt wrote:
aldair wrote:Your GD-ROM reader needs maintenance. If you have a serial sd card with dreamshell start Quke 3 Arena it will not reset.

I did in both ways, is still resetting:( the screen turns black , then appear the dreamcast logo and repeat this over and over:(

Test without the Modem connected to Dreamcast.

saptespreopt
shadow

Post#8 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:48 pm

I tried without modem connected, still the same problem:(

saptespreopt
shadow

Post#9 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:19 pm

aldair wrote:Make a video, it may be the defective fan controller chip.

I made a video and I attached here. it does the same when I load the image via dreamshell... as I said, only with 2-3 games and the browsers have this problem
Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] sega.mp4 [ 17.8 MiB | Viewed 6393 times ]

aldair
Metallic

Post#10 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:34 pm

saptespreopt wrote:
aldair wrote:Make a video, it may be the defective fan controller chip.

I made a video and I attached here. it does the same when I load the image via dreamshell... as I said, only with 2-3 games and the browsers have this problem

It is the defective fan chip on your VA2 board.