Dreamcast PS/2 adapter keyboard question

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum
azel
dark night

Dreamcast PS/2 adapter keyboard question

Post#1 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:33 pm

I have a Dreamconnector Saturn/PSX/PS/2 adapter coming in the mail and was wondering about compatibility.

I ordered a usb to ps/2 adapter but apparently there is a good chance that it won't work? Has anyone around here tried??? I'm going to go to the thrift store again but it looks like they probably just recycle ps/2 keyboard because they haven't had any in my smallish town.

I'm not totally opposed to just biting the bullet and ordering a DC keyboard but I'd like to save some money and would much prefer to use my pok3r 60% mechanical keyboard to chat in PSO :)

azel
dark night

Re: Dreamcast PS/2 adapter keyboard question

Post#2 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:15 pm

Okay I said f it and ordered a Dreamcast keyboard :lol: :lol: :lol:

My reasoning is that I now have this adapter free for a ps/2 mouse so I can play Quake 3 with you guys :)

megavolt85
Graffiti Grind

Post#3 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:12 pm

If you are talking about a passive adapter the chance that it will work is very small

ps.jpg
ps.jpg (15.3 KiB) Viewed 362 times

Only special dual mode mice/keyboards will work with this adapter

azel
dark night

Post#4 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:40 pm

Yeah that's what I figured. Oh well I have an official Japanese keyboard on the way that should be here early next week.

Do you know anything about ps/2 mice compatibility? I thought I read that even native ps/2 laser mice were really hit or miss on these Dreamcast ps/2 adapters. Should any old ps/2 ball mouse work with it?

megavolt85
Graffiti Grind

Post#5 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:13 am

all ps/2 mouse have same protocol
If your adapter has mouse support, it doesn't matter which mouse you connect ball or optical