router/modem combo dreampi question

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

ncman071
Sunday Shootout

router/modem combo dreampi question

Post#1 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:14 am

Ok, so ..about a year ago my ISP sent me a new router/modem combo ..its a Zylex Centurylnk Model number: PK001Z
They sent it to me because my old one is outdated...but it still works fine...its a Westell 7500 router/modem combo...works fine with the dreampi

so the problem is i do want to connect the new one, because i think it may actually increase my overall connection speed thru most of my other devices, BUT everytime i have tried to connect it to the dreampi.....i cannot get 2 green lights on the dreampi usb modem.....i have tried everything i know...disabling firewalls, allowing all traffic... i have no idea what to do...also, when i click on the ethernet status...it shows dreampi and that its getting internet, but still only 1 green light

lol....i dont know.....I have DSL and not cable interent if that helps...

my westell 7500 will need to be replaced eventually...i've had it since 2012...but i'm worried that i wont be able to get the dreampi to work with anything if i update to a new router

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: router/modem combo dreampi question

Post#2 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:27 pm

Tough one. I would see if your Raspberry Pi can connect to the internet with that new router. Then, I would see if anything changes on the IP settings of the new router that could throw things off.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#3 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:49 pm

In general, not getting a second light usually means that the pi isn't connected to the internet. Usually when my second modem light is stubborn I rewrite the dreampi image to my pi and plug it into ethernet.

Also, I'd recommend that you try and get some games working on the new modem before you commit, because not too long ago I got a new modem and irc based games refused to work on it, which meant no more Worms.

ncman071
Sunday Shootout

Post#4 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:02 pm

wonder if i'd be better off eventually just buying my own modem? not sure what all works with my dsl connection

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#5 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:56 pm

ncman071 wrote:wonder if i'd be better off eventually just buying my own modem? not sure what all works with my dsl connection

That would probably be your best option. Saves you the monthly rental fee too. Usually the ISP will have a list of compatible modems on their website.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

beanboy
Wazza

Post#6 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:06 pm

Interesting topic.
So what did you do ncman?

allbushnopush
shadow

Post#7 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:25 pm

This happens every time i turn my PI on. the fax modem only has one light on.
I just unplug the power from the PI then plug it back in then it has both lights and can connect.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:22 am

I think that was addressed in v1.7's hotfix

Unimportant but me my modem lights used to take a mere 25-30 secs and now more like 60+ for unknown reason, patience mista patience!!

ncman071
Sunday Shootout

Post#9 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:22 pm

beanboy wrote:Interesting topic.
So what did you do ncman?

well for right now i'm just sticking with my old router/modem combo...its a westell 7500 and it still works and does the job....just kinda sucks knowing a i've got a newish one sitting under my bed because i cant get the dreampi to work with it lol.

i'm also hesitant to go out and by my own router right now because what if that doesnt work? i guess i could take it back get a refund..but anyway ..i digress