What is the maximum size for flashcarts on GDemu (clone)?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

dreamcast459
dark night

Re: What is the maximum size for flashcarts on GDemu (clone)?

Post#11 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:40 am

i have a 128 gig card in my clone works like a charm

SegaDreamcastFan
noob

Post#12 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:07 am

first off im aware most people arent going to want to do this...however maybe this information will be helpful to someone

welp its official...for a COMPLETE untouched tosec (yes even with the duplicates) gdemu setup youll need 4 x 400gb microsd cards breakdown as follows:
the entire tosec untouched gdi NTSC-US collection can fit on a 400gb microsd card
the entire tosec untouched gdi PAL collection can fit on a 400gb microsd card
and the entire tosec untouched gdi NTSC-JAPAN collection can fit on two 400gb microsd cards (i split mine #-M and N-Z) i will edit this again when i get applications/multimedia/prototypes/unverifieds done but i think i can put all those onto a 256gb card
Last edited by SegaDreamcastFan on Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#13 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:46 pm

Why on earth would you include the duplicates? It should be under 400gb for each single game maybe pushing 500. If you use the GD Shrinker tool you can trim off a lot of space. No way on earth does anybody need 4 separate 400gb cards.

Of course I am speaking about only games, not the demos and other unessential stuff. If you just add every unique single retail game is it much smaller than the 1.6tb you claim. Every single normal retail game can fit on a 500gb SD card without shrinking if you cut out the duplicates.

SegaDreamcastFan
noob

Post#14 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:09 pm

for those completionists out there like myself i guess....i mean i guess the only reason i did it is because i was able to get 4 x 400gb mircosd cards for a total of like 83$ so i said why not.....and yes im aware that the complete tosec dumps included lots of duplicates...but i wanted to see what it would be like to have the entire untouched tosec sets on sd cards...gdi shrink works on most games but not all and i didnt feel like screwing around trying to figure out which ones it doesnt work with etc.....im well aware that most people arent going to do what ive done i am just putting the information out there for those that want to do the same

Raen
Toy Commander

Post#15 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:01 pm

Bumping this old thread.
If you don't like swapping SD cards, a 512 GB SD Card should be more than enough to have an entire region set (in my case, PAL) + exclusives and games from other regions that have VGA support/whatever + unreleased games + hacks that you may like + Atomiswave ports + misc stuff.

fraggle200
chill

Post#16 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:47 am

Anyone tried a 1TB card in a GDEMU clone?

I assume if 512GB works then 1TB shouldn't be an issue.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#17 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:25 pm

Yep people have reported them working on Reddit. Like mentioned previously FAT32 supports up to 2tb limit, so those should be fully supported too when made available for reasonable price. Sure we have to play the waiting game compared to people with the MODE to be able to have affordable 2TB SD cards vs HDD or SSD's, but if you ask me it is well worth the wait as this device was forward thinking enough to support FAT32 file system which is hard coded to handle up to 2tb.

I grabbed a SanDisk 512GB Extreme SD card on amazon during a sale for under $40 and slower versions can be had for even cheaper, but it is great to see them coming way down in price after being super expensive in years past. So I would say under $100 maybe around 80 bucks or so is the sweet spot for good 1TB cards if on sale. Also a word of advice, only purchase from trusted company store pages on amazon. I can speak from experience buying a Chinese counterfeit SD card which reported the incorrect size only to find out it was less than half that space. It would corrupt data past a certain size. A legit SanDisk brand 1TB SD card can be had for $80.