Power but no video/audio

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

undermark5
noob

Power but no video/audio

Post#1 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:37 pm

So, it is weird, I could have sworn that the console would power on and load into the menu, but now that doesn't happen. If the drive is unplugged it powers on the vmu chirps and there is no a/v out. If the drive is plugged in, the led strobes but the console doesn't seem to ever power off again no a/v out. I've reflowed the solder on the pins connecting the PSU to the mb and made sure they're making a good connection. None of the capacitors look bad, but I don't know how to test them. Voltages are 1.5V 4.5V and 11.5V last I checked and that is the same with and without the drive plugged in.

aldair
Metallic

Re: Power but no video/audio

Post#2 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:32 am

undermark5 wrote:So, it is weird, I could have sworn that the console would power on and load into the menu, but now that doesn't happen. If the drive is unplugged it powers on the vmu chirps and there is no a/v out. If the drive is plugged in, the led strobes but the console doesn't seem to ever power off again no a/v out. I've reflowed the solder on the pins connecting the PSU to the mb and made sure they're making a good connection. None of the capacitors look bad, but I don't know how to test them. Voltages are 1.5V 4.5V and 11.5V last I checked and that is the same with and without the drive plugged in.

Voltage is 3.3 and not 1.5

undermark5
noob

Post#3 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:35 am

aldair wrote:
undermark5 wrote:So, it is weird, I could have sworn that the console would power on and load into the menu, but now that doesn't happen. If the drive is unplugged it powers on the vmu chirps and there is no a/v out. If the drive is plugged in, the led strobes but the console doesn't seem to ever power off again no a/v out. I've reflowed the solder on the pins connecting the PSU to the mb and made sure they're making a good connection. None of the capacitors look bad, but I don't know how to test them. Voltages are 1.5V 4.5V and 11.5V last I checked and that is the same with and without the drive plugged in.

Voltage is 3.3 and not 1.5

Those are the voltages I MEASURED. Perhaps rather than simply telling me that the voltage I measured is different than what is documented you could suggest possible causes of why the voltages could be different.

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#4 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:56 am

I don't have any electronics skills so this might not be the case at all, but I once had a DC that similarly seemingly powered on (the VMU beeped, the power LED came on, the fan span up) but there was no video or audio. Turned out the ribbon cable connecting the controller board to the mainboard wasn't connected properly all the way in even tho at first glance it seemed like it was. So that's something that might worth taking a look at.