DC power on but no video and no sound

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

GTB
shadow

DC power on but no video and no sound

Post#1 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:05 pm

Hi there. I have a Japanese Dreamcast which I owned for a year. A mouth ago, I got Sakura Wars 4.
As I played it, I got to the epilogue, explore the imperial theater and talked to Glycine until midway throught the dialogue, the game freeze but the music continue as if nothing happend.
I turn the DC off and turn it on. The led is on, the fan spine, the controller ports works as my VMUs beeps, the GD-ROM drive fuction but ther's no video or sound, and my monitor doesn't detect anything. I took it apart to see anything suspicious but see nothing.
I leave the DC for a week without turning it on and it reworked as I tried anothe game. I put Sakura Wars 4 to finish the game. I avoid the Glycine scene and try other places. I go to the diner hall and it freezed again, with the music still playing. I turn it off and on, no video and sound again. I leave it for a week but it didn't reworke this time.
I also noticed that the VMU doesn't show their icon, VMU A-1 should show a penguin icon I set myself but it doesn't. I wondered if my cables had problem but I tried them on someone else European DC and they still works.
So at this point I don't know if my copy of Sakura Wars 4 killed my DC or if time got to my unit. Is Sakura Wars 4 for DC able to kill a unit?

LogicMage
noob

Re: DC power on but no video and no sound

Post#2 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:20 pm

When I first powered on my own console, I saw that the power would turn on, but no image would be displayed. Check that your cables are fit very snuggly into the console: mine wouldn't work until they were all the way in. You might have to use some force. My bet is it's either that or something inside the Dreamcast that's gone bad. I've never heard of a game harming the console before.

GTB
shadow

Post#3 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:06 pm

I snuggled my VGA cable all the way in but it doesn't change the situation unfortunatly. I thought of of the game harming the console since there are some on others platforms that do this. So it might be the CPU or something. It really fustruate me since I'm not sure what's wrong with the DC and I wanted to see the Hanabi ending so badly :/. I'm thinking of getting another unit as of now... Still thanks.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#4 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:41 pm

clue to me is the no vmu icon try booting it with out the vmu in if a vmu is bad ive had it do what your talking about it with freeze the game.. also if the controler has a fault it will freeze the game and the vmu icon will not come up.. since it waits to get to parts of the game i say the vmu save is the problem,..

GTB
shadow

Post#5 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:54 pm

the game doesn't save automaticaly, the VMUs works fine and I tried turning it on without controlers plugged.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#6 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:50 pm

ok, i will try to help?
when i have had these no video problems with dreamcasts in the past...
almost everytime it was from using the wrong screws on the back of the console.
the screws need to be the shorter ones in the back of the console, if not they will make contact with the mobo.
this might be the problem?
:?:

open the console up, and remove all of the screws on the back, especially those by the video port.
then try powering on the dc.

GTB
shadow

Post#7 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:15 am

I tried that but it doesn't change.