Line voltage inducer issue

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Smoke99
undertow

Line voltage inducer issue

Post#1 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:19 am

Hi, I bought a dreamcast after I learned about the ability to get online. So I bought everything that I need to do so and everything was set up CORRECTLY according to the video tutorials of how to get online "Dream pi method" and everything is working fine except 1 thing. My line voltage inducer, and i think its because i don't have the exact parts that i need. I bought them off ebay as descripted in the video but no matter how well the soldering connection. It just simply doesn't work. So i wanted to ask you.. do you know a link to an ebay user, or ANY other website where i can buy the CORRECT ones i need(380 ohm resistor and 0.47 if capacitator)? I could really use the advice and would appreciate it. Thank you very much

poopidoop
MegaDeath

Re: Line voltage inducer issue

Post#2 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:34 am

if you get tired of messing with it head over to https://www.dreamcastlive.net/shop and buy one of pcwzrd's, his has the LVI built in so no messing with battery

(edit - not sure exactly what parts you need but i use this place https://www.digikey.com/. i got my resetting fuses here also for the controller board)

NightBreeze
fire

Post#3 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:45 am

Do you have a PAL modem, and are you looking to induce 18V into the line? I'm just confirming since you are looking for a 380 Ohm resistor. For NTSC 9V you should use a 330 Ohm resistor.

And by the way, 380 Ohm is not standard issue so you can save yourself some trouble by getting a 390 Ohm resistor, it will work just as well. Even though 0.47uF is recommended, 1uF should work as well, so there is quite a bit of leeway here. Check out PC-DC Server Setup (Win98) - STEP 10 - Building a Line Voltage Inducer.

I'd recommend looking up a local electronics (components) store, if you order online you'll likely have to order more than you need.

Smoke99
undertow

Post#4 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:50 pm

20190909_154018.jpg

20190909_154219.jpg

I just stopped by Frys and bougth this Capacitator since that's the best they got. I also bought 390 ohm resistors from another Frys, which I'll post shortly. So please lmk if this capacitator SHOULD work perfectly and therefore be NO issue involved if my line voltage inducer still doesn't work this time

Smoke99
undertow

Post#5 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:19 pm

20190915_211506.jpg
20190915_211517.jpg

20190915_211525.jpg
20190915_211536.jpg

Idk what tf to do anymore.. u used a 1UF eurolyptic capacitator and a 390 ohm resistor that i bought from frys but it's STILL not Fucking working. Can someone please help n tell me what's wrong

poopidoop
MegaDeath

Post#6 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:41 pm

still stuck, thats a bummer. hope you get it figured out soon.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#7 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:48 pm

there are model A and model B dreamcast dial up modems.
allegedly model A needs no line inducer?
some1 chime in..

NightBreeze
fire

Post#8 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:44 pm

Here’s some thoughts to help you debug:

Do you have a multimeter? I’d check all solder connections and verify that the battery is outputting 9V and that the line is induced with 9V.

Also check your Dreamcast modem, have you verified it’s NTSC, what model is it?

It could also be a faulty USB modem, you could open it up and verify everything looks OK inside.

Is the modem cable wired correctly, maybe the voltage is on the wrong line? (Not sure if this actually matters.)

Have you checked the logs (in /var/log) on the Raspberry? It might very well be that it’s seeing something, might give you a hint.

Maybe the Dreamcast modem could be broken?

Smoke99
undertow

Post#9 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:06 pm

NightBreeze wrote:Here’s some thoughts to help you debug:

Do you have a multimeter? I’d check all solder connections and verify that the battery is outputting 9V and that the line is induced with 9V.

Also check your Dreamcast modem, have you verified it’s NTSC, what model is it?

It could also be a faulty USB modem, you could open it up and verify everything looks OK inside.

Is the modem cable wired correctly, maybe the voltage is on the wrong line? (Not sure if this actually matters.)

Have you checked the logs (in /var/log) on the Raspberry? It might very well be that it’s seeing something, might give you a hint.

Maybe the Dreamcast modem could be broken?

I will check all these immediately when I get the chance. Thank you for your help, and every one else who commented as well^

megavolt85
Developer

Post#10 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:33 pm

SMiTH wrote:there are model A and model B dreamcast dial up modems.
allegedly model A needs no line inducer?
some1 chime in..

for DELL the line inducer is all the same necessary