Question about GDEMU resistor + airflow + trays

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

poopidoop
MegaDeath

Re: Question about GDEMU resistor + airflow + trays

Post#11 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:27 pm

i did nothing special to my dreamcast or the 12v pins. i just took out the drive, put in the gdemu and closed it up. i was worried about heat also when i got it but even with the stock fan it seems just fine, just dont block your vents. i ordered a 3d printed tray but it wasnt even the right size because i had a clone and something was just a little off, if you just want something to look nice id go with one of the extender cables and a tray that sits up higher flush with the dc shell, though i havent tried one.

- edit - the tray even if its a recessed one would be nice to have simply in the event you drop your sd card when trying to put it in or take it out. it has happened to me and i had to fish around to find it but so far it hasnt been much of a problem

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#12 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:45 pm

Don't forget the thermal pads!!! viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11066&p=114272&hilit=thermal+pads#p114272

I have new thermal pads, gdemu clone, picopsu and It doesn't get hot at all. no fan needed. I also unplug my VMU speakers, no beep. Went from the noisiest most unreliable console to solid state and silent. No 3D printed tray, Just pop the top off, 3-4 micro sd cards in a plastic case tucked under the gdemu. Got some free space, almost enough room to cram a pi zero inside. And don't forget an SDcard-Serial with DreamShell for VMU backups and tools.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#13 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:55 pm

areyareadyherewego wrote:
Anthony817 wrote:I have it so long to act as both support and to better redirect the air. Less air leakage and it won't fall over.

I have to ask since your avatar is half life, is the DC version you're favorite or have you played the ps2 one?

was watching digital foundry comparisons and found it fascinating! with gdemu are load times tolerable?

DC version is my favorite, and yes played the PS2 version, I have that installed on my Jailbroke PS3. With GDEMU Soldier of Fortune loads levels in around 10-20 seconds vs 2.5 mins. Half-Life is around 10 seconds vs 15 second load times. SOF is notoriously the slowest loading game on the system, despite being a good game it was unplayable for me because of the long load times. This mood not only speeds it up, but also speeds up Half-Life which comparably is not all that bad at all really normally all things considered.

gundstaff
noob

Post#14 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:57 pm

Air needs to circulate, isolating the air inlet from the air outlet is a primary cooling error these vents need to communicate to exchange air with the outside environment.Here is my solution for overheating, for anyone who wants to test:

https://thenewdream2019.blogspot.com/20 ... ation.html

brunovieira90
minority

Post#15 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:25 pm

Anthony817 wrote:
areyareadyherewego wrote:have been to cheap to wanna spend $20-30 on a good gdemu tray right now when the GDEMU itself only cost just under $50 (on the way) but i see two styles on eBay: the one that dips down and has SD card holders, and the one that brings the SD card to the top surface and has a slot and reset button...
2) cant you do in game reset with a controller combo anyways?

Sorry to be the one to break the news to you, but you have been duped. That is not a reset button, that is a skip to next disc button. :lol:

areyareadyherewego wrote:3) if i hold off on getting a tray, I can just add a wall of cardboard on the under part of the GDEMU to allow the PSU heat to dissipate across that lane next to the controller board and out of the case with the stock side fan?

Yes here is mine I took pictures of last year. I have since gotten a nice 128gb SD card. and painted the top part of the case black.

areyareadyherewego wrote:4) if i do nothing, will I be ok? Or should I add that cardboard at minimum? It doesn’t pose any safety risks? I’m open to another material / easier solution to use in the interim, if i must do something with airflow

You should at the very least add the cardboard since removing the GDRom drive certainly changes airflow in the case. If you really want to cheap out and make it more air tight you can add some hot glue around the bottom of it, or go even cheaper and use tape.

That all being said, I don't think you have to worry about modding the PSU, adding a resistor or changing it out for a DreamPSU or anything like that. It does get hotter yes but honestly if you don't play it for 12 hours at a time every day it should be ok. I been using mine for a full year now this month, and smooth sailing for me.

hello Anthony! it's been awhile since you posted this. Sorry for the question, but the cardboard (is it from a cereal box? lol) doesn't run the risk of catching fire, or causing any damage in there, isn't it? I was looking to do something like that, but I have no ideas for what material I would use. I see some 3d templates, which don't make me believe they would do a good enough job.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#16 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:03 pm

Oh no hehe, it never gets hot enough to catch fire. It is from a McDonalds Happy Meal box hehe. I grabbed it from my nice when she was finished with her meal hehe. It was just thin enough that it was a nice fit. It also had a nice bend in it already so it wasn't difficult to trim it down to fit flush with the insides.

brunovieira90
minority

Post#17 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:25 pm

Anthony817 wrote:Oh no hehe, it never gets hot enough to catch fire. It is from a McDonalds Happy Meal box hehe. I grabbed it from my nice when she was finished with her meal hehe. It was just thin enough that it was a nice fit. It also had a nice bend in it already so it wasn't difficult to trim it down to fit flush with the insides.

thank you very much friend I'm actually considering doing the same.I measured the temperature with a thermometer, and using my original psu (no modification) + gdemu, The outside reached 44 degrees. Internally it would probably be much hotter But if the happy snack mc didn't catch fire then I think it might work lol
Thank you for the information.