VGA cable audio conversion

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

JimmyCrisps
noob

VGA cable audio conversion

Post#1 » Thu May 09, 2019 11:06 pm

This may not make a lot of sense or may be common knowledge, but I thought I'd try posting here anyway.

My TV has a VGA input and I have a third-party VGA cable for my Dreamcast that comes with the red and white audio cables. Video works perfectly, but there's only one audio input. I can plug in either the red or white cable and sound will come out of either the left or right channel (forget which one is which). I don't believe I've seen this type of audio input anywhere if it's even input; what kind of converter would I need to get the two audio cables into one port like this? Would it be better to look into a VGA box?

Here's a picture

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Re: VGA cable audio conversion

Post#2 » Fri May 10, 2019 9:00 am

Headphone jack?

Sega1Dream
Donated

Post#3 » Fri May 10, 2019 10:00 am

That is fairly common for VGA input TV's as they consider that a "PC" input which usually uses the 3.5mm (headphone) plug.

To make the RCA become a 3.5mm you would buy a adapter that allows the left and right channels to operate on one 3.5mm plug.

I have attached a link: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=666

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#4 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:35 pm

Sega1dream is right. I use a RCA to 3.5mm (1/8") stereo adapter to the TV. I know not why those cables have two RCA's but...they do.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs