Roareye wrote:To my knowledge it can't be done, but I'm no expert and know no code.
The reason Skies of Arcadia PAL isn't working with VGA is because the VGA code was left out of the PAL release for some stupid reason. The games which you can force into VGA still contain the VGA code but don't have the option to use it, which means you can force it on via the DC. Games that don't have the code can't use VGA at all, and the list is very weird.
You'll want a US copy of Resident Evil: Code Veronica and Railroad Tycoon 2 if you play those titles. The PAL titles can't do VGA even though Railroad Tycoon says it can on the box.
Yeah, I've read up on how Skies of Arcadia didn't have the VGA part, so I knew forcing it would be futile but I attempted it anyway, just to see if it would help.
There is an easier way @retrolinkx! There is a proper VGA-patch out there for the PAL version of Skies of Arcadia, perfect for use on GDEMU because it patches the GDI! So no compromises there =) https://japanese-cake.livejournal.com/6434.html
Yeah, that's pretty much what I did. Although finding information on how to patch it was a nightmare. I finally did it though, and tested it on NullDC using my own save (I've yet to test it on actual hardware)
Just in case anyone finds this post and needs to know what to do, I'll just put what I did here.
1) Make sure you have a copy Skies of Arcadia that you know is not corrupt or anything. Download https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzRN8P835YijQWFndWprX3Juelk/view
and download https://japanese-cake.livejournal.com/6434.html
2) Once everything is extracted, open the "Skies of Arcadia" game folder you should have and make sure it has one GDI file, and three track files. Then open the "Extract Re-Build GDI" folder. Once you're here, move the Skies of Arcadia game folder (the entire folder) ONTO the "Extract GDI Image" batch file, and wait for it to finish.
3) Once it's finished, you should get a folder called "Game name extracted" (in my case it was "Skies of Arcadia Disc 1 Extracted") and open that folder. Inside you should see a file called "1ST_READ". All you need to do now is replace that file with the one found in japanese-cake's folder (called "jc-soae-60hz-vga-v2"). The file you need is called "1ST_READ_PATCHED", make sure you rename this file to "1ST_READ" otherwise it won't work.
4) Once you've replaced the original "1ST_READ" with the patched one (and changed the name). Back out of the extracted Skies folder, and then move the extracted folder onto the "Build GDI Image" batch file. Wait a few moments and once the building has finished, the patched game file should be found in the original folder. (So in this case, the patched file is now found in "Skies of Arcadia Disc 1")
5) Test it out on console/emulator and see if it works. Make sure you do the same for the 2nd disc.
Sorry if this seems "common knowledge" to some people, but I just couldn't find any information about this from japanese_cake's site and had to spend a lot of time googling until I came up with this answer.