burn dreamcast games correctly

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Sega RPG

burn dreamcast games correctly

Post#1 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:55 pm

hi everyone,
my question is simple, how i can correctly burn dreamcast grames?

tried discjuggler with mode 1, 3rd gap activated, overburn activated and lowest speed possible : burned 5 games and only 2 were working

tried with imgburn and lowest speed possible : burned 7 games and only 3 were working

do i need to chane my recorder?or i need to change settings?

by the way, i'm using a windows pc to burn games but does anyone knows how to burn games on linux?

thanks in advance

BananaXX
undertow

Re: burn dreamcast games correctly

Post#2 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:31 pm

Could it be that you just downloaded a bad image of the game? I use ImgBurn and about 8/9 games I've burned have worked except for one; I attribute this to just a bad file.

Mechanic
Vagabond

Post#3 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:32 pm

I have success using the dctalk guide on how to burn dc games
If you follow that guide and still have issues then possibly its your cdr burner
Make hure u use cdrs
Italian Stallion

Sega RPG

Post#4 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:47 pm

i use cdr and burned garou 3 times with 2 isos and both failed, and pso v1 and v2 but both failed so i don't really know, anyway i will try with the dctalk guide and report in case :)

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:31 pm

Padus DiscJuggler still awesome, wow my settings seem off but because of new setup, I went with DRTEAMCAST's guide on DJ settings

Have you tried cranking write speed to 24x? Both my rev0 n rev1 casts love fast burns and hate the slow ones refuses to read

Sega RPG

Post#6 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:21 am

honestly no, my old dc died and that's probably due to some bad burned games, so i'm afraid of trying faster speeds with this new one (which should be a pal rev1)

Sega RPG

Post#7 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:53 am

so, tried burning phantasy star v2 pal found here on dctalk with discjuggler and the settings provided, which were : 4x speed, raw enabled 3rd part gap enabled and mode 2. The game arrives at the sega copyright screen then it reset to the main menu,

any help?maybe writing the echelon releases with this settings will help?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#8 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:55 am

The problem could be with your Dreamcast. As the laser dies, it will start to have a hard time reading burned games. Generally if one game burns fine, then all the others will too.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Sega RPG

Post#9 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:03 am

well the dreamcast was bought this christmas and seems to be in brand new condition, from what i can tell the laser should be in very good condition too cause it read some games (orioinals) that the old one was not reading due to being too much scratched, and has no problems at all reading all my oldest backups...so i think (and hope :p ) it's not the laser...

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#10 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:11 am

If it's not the laser then it's very likely either the CD-Rs you're using or the burner. I know from experience that some brands of CD-R will not work at all. I also have a burner in my main PC that can't reliably burn games that the Dreamcast can read. I use an external Samsung drive instead. If you have a different burner you can try, I would try that first. If that fails, get some new CD-Rs. Unfortunately it's a bit hard to find a brand that will always work. Even among certain brands like Sony, Memorex, and Verbatim, they usually have different manufacturers making the discs so they're not always the same.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live