Dreamcast Pico PSU issues

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Dreamcazman
fire

Dreamcast Pico PSU issues

Post#1 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:55 pm

Hi all, I'm new here so please be nice. :D

I recently started getting back in DC stuff and have done a few of the mods (GDEMU, Noctua fan, etc) & one of those was the Pico PSU. Reason I did the PSU too was heat issues when removing the GD-ROM & also due to having a US console in Australia, I always had to use a step-down transformer.

Anyways, I bought a kit locally from this place -> https://www.retrosales.com.au/collections/dreamcast/products/accessory-power-supply-sega-saturn-dreamcast-replacement-modified-psu-retrofit-modding & I'm having problems with it.

Basically it causes the console to either freeze, reboot or show graphical glitches. eg Crazy Taxi not loading backgrounds, car appears to drive around in mid-air, then eventually crashes.

At first I thought it was the GDEMU or SD card. Tried another SD card, same thing. Then I swapped the original PSU back in & no issues. Despite getting a little warm, it's been running for a couple hours now without a single glitch.

Anyone had issues like this with a Pico PSU? Did I just get a dud unit?

I've contacted the store, but haven't received a reply yet.

XVO
undertow

Re: Dreamcast Pico PSU issues

Post#2 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:55 am

I will try it when I get home. I have modified my own pico psu, but haven't found any glitches on soul calibur or Sonic Adventure but I will try Crazy Taxi for you and let you know the results.

Dreamcazman
fire

Post#3 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:35 pm

Thanks. Actually I did have Soul Calibur also freeze on occasion or flick me back to the main menu. From memory, SA seemed to be ok, however I didn't play much of that.

Dreamcazman
fire

Post#4 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:56 am

I think I figured out what was going on. I had the MB power connected via the 5-pin connector that's on the Pico PSU as that is what came with it. I had a suspicion that the DC may not be getting enough juice so I made up new cables & soldered them directly to the ATX connector instead.

I've been running the DC now for around an hour and it's been flawless, previously it wouldn't last anywhere near as long.

I guess time will tell if it's definitely fixed the issue, but so far, so good.