Disc's sometimes reads

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

mynameisboop
noob

Disc's sometimes reads

Post#1 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:04 am

I was given a Dreamcast by a friend of mine. He told me that it sometimes would read discs. Upon trying it out it did in fact read one. I then turned it off and came back to it later on and it wouldn't read. It would make a rev up sound and then stop. I decided to open it and try to calibrate the laser like so many youtube videos suggest. I tried it out and it worked great. Played for a few hours with no problem. Next day I went to play it again and was back to the same problem. I have found that before I start it up, I need to push the laser back from the inner resting position for it to work at all. Is there an adjustment I am missing? It seems like laser is getting stuck when its all the in.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Re: Disc's sometimes reads

Post#2 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:45 am

If you need to push the laser back, try putting lube on the rails for the laser.

Or try tilting the unit to help the laser move back home. I have to tilt my saturn backwards for it to play games.

mynameisboop
noob

Re: Disc's sometimes reads

Post#3 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:10 am

Strange thing is that it has stopped doing it. Also, I made a couple backup games because I was going to buy a Revision 1 Dreamcast from a facebook marketplace listing. My Dreamcast is a 2 which isn't suppose to play backups. For giggles I put the backup in mine and it worked. Also it has stopped not reading CD's and plays everytime. The guy I got it from thinks its possessed.