VMU Keeps Resetting

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Kakujo
noob

VMU Keeps Resetting

Post#1 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:22 pm

Hi. I have a problem with a "brand new" translucent green VMU I added to my collection. It works fine, other than that it resets the clock (and makes a long "beeeeeep") whenever I turn the DC off, or whenever I give the VMU itself a good squeeze.

Is this a dead clock battery? I opened the VMU to see what it took, but I'm worried the little cylinder below where the speaker cables attach to the PCB is what I'd need to replace. I have NO idea what to even look for, as replacements go. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? :|

What I've Tried:
-New batteries
-Wiping down battery contacts
-Tightening screws

I'd appreciate any help!

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: VMU Keeps Resetting

Post#2 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:22 pm

Tough one to diagnose. Are you putting pressure on the screen? It has the least resistance.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

AgentMomo
Prince of Persia

Post#3 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:45 am

Kakujo wrote:Hi. I have a problem with a "brand new" translucent green VMU I added to my collection. It works fine, other than that it resets the clock (and makes a long "beeeeeep") whenever I turn the DC off, or whenever I give the VMU itself a good squeeze.

Is this a dead clock battery? I opened the VMU to see what it took, but I'm worried the little cylinder below where the speaker cables attach to the PCB is what I'd need to replace. I have NO idea what to even look for, as replacements go. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? :|

What I've Tried:
-New batteries
-Wiping down battery contacts
-Tightening screws

I'd appreciate any help!

Dude WTF same here , I bought 2 Brand New Green ones and I get this problem

AgentMomo
Prince of Persia

Post#4 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:44 pm

Hey I solved it , I stuck new batteries in and it's fine.

Watch Batteries last 20 years , Don't forget dreamcast hitting 20 years ,

So all theses people selling never opened VMUs the batteries should be dead by now.

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#5 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:49 pm

yeah.. I don't use any of my VMUs for anything but game saves so I'm fine with dead batteries..

even with new batteries they don't last too long if you're playing mini games or turnin it on constantly...

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:35 pm

That is the signature beep. It just tells you the batteries are dead. Those bastards chew through batteries in a week or so. So you better get used to that sound real quick, or fork out some serious cash for a stack of batteries.

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#7 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:19 pm

A few months ago I put batteries in my VMU, and it felt like something was missing whenever I turned it on.