Dreamcast reads Utopia bootdisc but not burned games

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Focus
noob

Dreamcast reads Utopia bootdisc but not burned games

Post#1 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:43 am

Hi, new to Dreamcast. I have a code 0 system that should run burned discs. I burned CDIs of Virtua Tennis and San Francisco Rush 2049 to Verbatim CD-Rs and tried them in my Dreamcast to no success. Going to the game menu gave me "Please insert game disc". Oddly enough the system wanted to display my burned game as a music disc. I used ImgBurn 2.5.8.0 on Windows 8.1.

I used the same setup to burn Utopia bootdisc 1.1 and this bootdisc loaded immediately on my system and gave me the menu with the rotating deer where it demands a game disc. I tried to load both of the games I burned at this menu. First game did nothing and the disc stopped spinning. Second game began to load, kept the disc spinning, and the on screen menu appeared to do something with the deer disappearing. But ultimately all it did was enter an extreme slowdown where the deer re-appeared, spinning extremely slowly as if the system was struggling. I tried the first game again and oddly enough it spun up this time but did the same slowdown thing as game #2 without ever booting the game.

Perhaps it's worth noting that I also tested an official music CD and a burned music CD-R and both played fine immediately without a bootdisc.

Anybody have an idea what I am doing wrong?

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Re: Dreamcast reads Utopia bootdisc but not burned games

Post#2 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:41 pm

I found some units just love burns from DiscJuggler v6, I don't know if the installer is good for Windows 8.1 but for Windows 10 you would need the installed files from older OS and make a a folder and entries in your registry (I do have mine's on my Mediafire)

95% of my burns are brought to me by DJ and I've got stacks and stacks, for my 1 and rev 0 Dreamcasts

Welcome!

Focus
noob

Post#3 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:59 pm

mistamontiel wrote:I found some units just love burns from DiscJuggler v6, I don't know if the installer is good for Windows 8.1 but for Windows 10 you would need the installed files from older OS and make a a folder and entries in your registry (I do have mine's on my Mediafire)

95% of my burns are brought to me by DJ and I've got stacks and stacks, for my 1 and rev 0 Dreamcasts

Welcome!

Thanks for the reply. DJ6 installed fine on my machine. I followed the procedure from this guide and the resulting disc was ineffective in the same way as the ImgBurn discs. As soon as I burned the disc I saw the second post in the thread where the OP realized his guide might not work for all discs. Do you have a specific process you follow?

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:05 pm

Adjusted settings a little but I know I did test burn with Toy Story 2 DCRes yet to compare with the crazy GD when I got my new hardware setup and Win10 just a month ago