Dreamcast scratches some discs. Any ideas?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

SpaghettiCat
rebel

Dreamcast scratches some discs. Any ideas?

Post#1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:17 am

Hey guys, I got a Dreamcast and it's scratching up certain discs. I made a short demonstration video:

Discs that spin fine with no contact: GD-ROMs, PS2 discs, PS1
Discs that have contact: Original Xbox discs, Verbatim CD-Rs, Verbatim DVD-Rs, some random company CD-R I have.

Here are closeup photos of the disc drive.

When I put in my burnt games it spins them up very fast so it's loud and I'm worried it's damaging the spindle machinsm.

Any ideas how I can fix this? Maybe somehow raise the spindle piece in the centre so that the disc is 1mm higher?

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Re: Dreamcast scratches some discs. Any ideas?

Post#2 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:17 pm

It's probably worth waiting for other's suggestions, but I had a somewhat similar issue with a DC, turned out it was because of a spindle from another device that was sitting too low so that laser was actually touching the disc.

Judging from your video and pictures, the spindle is the correct factory one, although it does seem to be sitting a little lower than in my DCs. So my suggestion would be raising the spindle slightly, which is possible to do. Tho you need to take off that top plastic piece on the top of the GD-ROM drive that is held in by 2 small screws to have a better access to under the spindle.

SpaghettiCat
rebel

Re: Dreamcast scratches some discs. Any ideas?

Post#3 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:49 pm

Thanks Tarnish, I figured it out! More details for posterity are here: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/19/t230 ... #m40396246