Playing Euro-exclusive games on NTSC hardware

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

UltimateOverlord
shadow

Playing Euro-exclusive games on NTSC hardware

Post#1 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:43 pm

How would one go about playing European games on a North American Dreamcast? I don't mean as in region coding, I already have a Utopia boot disc to use, rather with video signals. Will there be flickering picture or no picture at all? Am I gonna need an adapter or multi-system TV?

I'm just wondering, I kinda want to try out the Euro-exclusive DreamPi games like Planet Ring and Toy Racer.

Thank you in advance for your responses! :D

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Re: Playing Euro-exclusive games on NTSC hardware

Post#2 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:43 am

Dude DL DC-IE Dreamcast Import Enabler, Utopia doesn't boot all and I've read of causing glitches

I played my Toy Racer on my secondary cast on the CRT and great. You get the 50/60 selector

Planet Ring I've no idear.. 60hz may be restricted to VGA output like Monaco but someone must confirm er I'm interested enough now to try that out I'll be back

EDIT: Welp that's amaaaazin! Planet Ring gave me no such selector it just automates and detects what hz your display is pushin! On my CRT S-Vid she is perfect

UltimateOverlord
shadow

Post#3 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:15 am

Ok. Thanks a lot! Also, yes I did just read that Utopia isn't the best option for imports.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#4 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:37 pm

I have the gameshark boot disc. Worked good for me.

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#5 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:33 pm

Codebreaker is generally the best to go for when it comes to boot discs on Dreamcast. It has the best compatibility and (although this doesn't affect you as you are using Svideo) helps boot non VGA games into VGA. Utopia has poor compability, and things like DC-X go out of its way to disable VGA for some insane reason.

UltimateOverlord
shadow

Post#6 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:44 pm

Just burned my own Codebreaker (hopefully burning is as good as buying) and ordered Planet Ring. Feeling pretty good about this! Thanks for all your help.

mstar
Doom

Post#7 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:59 am

Nico0020 wrote:.. and things like DC-X go out of its way to disable VGA for some insane reason.

What makes you think that way?

It's quite the other way around - with my VGA-Box connected, DC-X _forces_ each game (compatible or not) to boot into VGA mode...

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:02 am

Yehp Codebreaker delivers double bypass

You're good, I mean a hard copy of CB must set you back like anywhere in the $60-$100 range? n they're jus MIL-CDs too all the same anywho :idea: