Weirdness with Madcatz MC2 Steering Wheel

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Fabi_ash
shadow

Weirdness with Madcatz MC2 Steering Wheel

Post#1 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:14 pm

Hi everybody, due to my obsession to have the best Crazy Taxi experience possible on Dreamcast I've been searching for the best and (even more important) most fun driving wheels on the console.
The first one I've bought has been a V3 FX, which is OK, but I felt that the pedals where not so well designed. Good but not perfect.

Some time later I discovered the Mad Catz MC2 Steering Wheel and I fell in love with it: rumble support, decent pedals, a feature which makes you adjust the deadzone ad accuracy of the wheel and a gear shift :shock:
I was sold, so I've been searching far and wide for this controller and last week a friend of mine sent me an eBay insertion for the wheel in question.

Today the MC2 finally arrived and... it felt weird, very very weird. Obviously the first game I tried it with was Crazy Taxi and the first thing I noticed was that the buttons didn't work the same way they did on the V3 FX, but I went over. The wheel is good, the pedals are decent but the shift behaves in a strange way.

First, when I push the shift forward it goes to reverse, but when I pull it back, it does nothing and the same is for the paddles: the left one does nothing and the right one goes to reverse. The only way to got to drive is to press B on the wheel, but it's totally unpractical.
The second thing is that the wheel is not recognized as a wheel, but as a normal controller.
The third thing is that it doesn't read the VMUs, but it is not the worst problem here.

Is my wheel unlucky (maybe the pinout is wrong) or is it normal to work this way? Am i missing something important to know due to the fact that I don't have the instruction manual?

krssn
Metallic

Re: Weirdness with Madcatz MC2 Steering Wheel

Post#2 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:16 am

It took me less time to find the answer than it took you to write your post.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2000/02/19/ ... cing-wheel

"The wheel has a few problems with Crazy Taxi, unfortunately, and they make playing the game somewhat difficult. The problem is that the gear shifter's top position corresponds to A with the bottom position corresponding to B. Ideally, the game would read A as drive and B as reverse, making the wheel mimic the arcade perfectly. The game doesn't allow you to map the controller in that manner, though, so you're left with pushing up on the shifter to go into drive mode and pressing a button on the wheel's face to switch back to reverse. It doesn't work too well. I'm inclined to blame, more than anything, the game's lack of customized controller options, though. And, in fact, Crazy Taxi is probably best left played with a controller due to the need for doing combos and what not."

Fabi_ash
shadow

Post#3 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:17 am

Thank you, I've been searching some infos before writing, but I found none. Ten minutes after I started searching again and I've found your same article lol

I think that the only solution could be making a cheat code to alter the control scheme in Crazy Taxi (feasible, but I'm not so good) or hacking the code to have the same result (and I don't even know where to begin).

krssn
Metallic

Post#4 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:14 am

Or rerouting the buttons in your steering wheel...

Fabi_ash
shadow

Post#5 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:45 am

I've also thought to do this, but I felt a little discouraged when I saw all the wires and the hot glue to keep the solderings in place :mrgreen:

Maybe I should take some time (and some space) and try again to understand all the wiring...