Elgato HD60 S doesn't support VGA (Mac)

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

natural585
rebel

Elgato HD60 S doesn't support VGA (Mac)

Post#1 » Sun May 06, 2018 5:34 pm

I just bought a Elgato HD60 S Capture Card. I was wondering what a good set up for that would be? I know that it doesn't support VGA which is a problem. But, I think I can upscale it to HDMI? What can I do/what should I do for a decent quality setup that costs less than $100.

Probably not the best capture card for Dreamcast, but I don't have a PC.

Roareye
Rank 9

Re: Elgato HD60 S doesn't support VGA (Mac)

Post#2 » Mon May 07, 2018 5:39 am

I know nothing of Mac.

However you can buy a VGA to HDMI upscaler to play your DC via the Elgato. Make sure you get an upscaler, not a converter, as the Elgato may not accept 240p or 480p HDMI signals.

natural585
rebel

Post#3 » Mon May 07, 2018 6:36 pm

Any HDMI upscalers that you would recommend?

Roareye wrote:I know nothing of Mac.

However you can buy a VGA to HDMI upscaler to play your DC via the Elgato. Make sure you get an upscaler, not a converter, as the Elgato may not accept 240p or 480p HDMI signals.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#4 » Mon May 07, 2018 8:37 pm

Sure. DC VGA converters can be hard to find, as the Dreamcast outputs at a slightly off-resolution that some TV inputs really do not like. I've bought a couple of VGA converters that refuse to operate with the DC.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portta-Convert ... i+upscaler
I use this one myself at the moment. It does the job surprisingly well, but it's certainly not the best option. The image is incredibly crisp and clear, however on large spaces of bold colours (Such as the white DC intro logo or the yellow BG on Crazy Taxi) you can sometimes find thin horizontal black lines interfering with the image. This is a standard (and very minor) downside to upscalers designed for video content rather than gaming.

But it has one major drawback - it doesn't understand the Dreamcast in-game browser resolutions. The standalone web browser discs work just fine, but if you access any browser from inside a game (Such as JSR, Sonic Adventure, MSR etc) then the image will shift to the top left - leaving you half blind as to what's going on. Leaving the browser and going back to the game doesn't fix it either, so you have to turn the console off and on again to resolve it.
Online gaming isn't affected, which is a major plus. And this box is incredibly cheap, so if you're not bothered about the browsers or even if you just need a low-cost stop-gap it's well worth it.

https://www.videogameperfection.com/pro ... converter/
This is by far the best option. Specially designed for gaming, I'm pretty sure this can understand the DC's in-game browser modes (I hope it does, as it's one of my main reasons to buy). It's what I am currently saving up for, as it also upscales the video input far better than the previous one (Which is mostly built for PCs, laptops and DVDs). This is because of the gaming-specific 5x line doubler modes.

The only downside to this technically is that it struggles at the moment with the SNES. However for Dreamcast I've heard nothing but praise. And a hardware update is apparently coming out soon to fix the SNES issues.

The price is high though. I'm looking at just shy of £200, which is not a cheap piece of kit. However this will replace my VGA upscaler (Which, as you've seen, has some issues) and my RGB Scart upscaler - all whilst providing me a far superior image using the line doubler features. I don't own a SNES atm, however when I do it'll be RGB modded so it may avoid the issues this box has with SNES to start with.

Hope that helps. Unfortunately there's not really any in-between. You either buy a Fiat Panda or a Rolls Royce. Luckily the Panda works wonderfully well enough, but for in-game browsers and better image resolution you're gonna have to fork out of pocket.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#5 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:16 am

Just so you know what the Portta Converter does to the in-game browsers on the Dreamcast. And as I said, it stays that way when you return to the game. You have to turn the console off then on again to fix it.

As you can imagine, trying to rebuild the MSR browser is difficult enough but I'm gonna have to overcome this obstacle to test it on the DC :lol:

I'm hoping the OSSC, as the VGA port is built specially for the DC, understands whatever resolution this is so the odd screen shift doesn't occur.

natural585
rebel

Post#6 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:10 am

Thanks I'll check it out.