Dreamcast won't read burned games

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Y-Stylzz
shadow

Dreamcast won't read burned games

Post#1 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:34 am

Hello,

My Dreamcast always played burned games perfectly. When they didn't work, I would use a boot disk to fix that problem.

However, for some reason I can't play burned games anymore. Every time I pop in a burned game, it says "Please insert game disc". The (burned) boot disks I have don't boot up either.

This is really weird, because official games and music CD's work just fine.

What's causing this and how can I fix this?

moi
blackout!

Re: Dreamcast won't read burned games

Post#2 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:37 pm

Looks like your GDROM laser is dying. Expect GDROMs to stop working too.
There are some solutions to this though. Most popular ones are cleaning the lens and readjusting the laser by rotating one specific screw on the GD drive.
There are instructions available for that. The cleaning part I'd try first, since it doesn't require disassembling your console. If it doesn't help try the readjusting way. Be cautious though it might make your drive unusable if the screw gets loose.

Y-Stylzz
shadow

Post#3 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:47 pm

I was afraid that might be the case. Thanks for the advice.

Y-Stylzz
shadow

Post#4 » Wed May 02, 2018 12:33 pm

Okay, so I tried cleaning the lens, but that didn't work. I will try the 'screw-method' very soon.

In the meantime, I received Sonic Adventure 2. I wanted the play it, but it doesn't work. The Dreamcast does read the disc and boots the game, but after the Sonic Team logo I get a black screen.

Is this also caused by the condition of the laser, or is it my copy? All my other official games work just fine (for now). The game is in new condition.

mstar
Doom

Post#5 » Sun May 06, 2018 9:23 am

Please ensure you get a reading of the current value of the laser in Ohms with a multimeter beforehand!

Even the tiniest amount of turning the screw will make a massive difference in resistance so you may very well fry your laser completely if you do it without a multimeter!

Doctor Butler
rebel

Post#6 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:09 pm

moi wrote:Looks like your GDROM laser is dying. Expect GDROMs to stop working too.
There are some solutions to this though. Most popular ones are cleaning the lens and readjusting the laser by rotating one specific screw on the GD drive.
There are instructions available for that. The cleaning part I'd try first, since it doesn't require disassembling your console. If it doesn't help try the readjusting way. Be cautious though it might make your drive unusable if the screw gets loose.

Can you direct me to a tutorial? I'm in the same boat

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#7 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:34 pm

Does it still read some of your very old Burn games? If it does, it could also be your DVD burner that is dying. Just because you can read a disk in, does not mean the Dreamcast can. Had this many times, also with Saturn and PS1.

SO check if it's only your new burned games get one from years ago..

DreamCasting
dark night

Post#8 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:48 am

Does your drive still reads original discs?
If so, try to start an original game first to "reset" your laser and only then try to boot the burned game.
It has worked for me several times.
The issue seems to be with the recognition of the burned discs, because once it has passed that first reading (you can clearly ear the DC beep on success) it works.
Also, try to get good quality media for burning as this will help.
And don't rule out the possibility that your burner has started failing.

darius
shadow

Post#9 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:02 am

just under the laser there is a daughter board with about ten SMD capacitors, almost always it works again by changing them
I made a little tutorial but in French

darius
shadow

Post#10 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:55 pm