Questions regarding PSU and hdd mod

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

XVO
undertow

Questions regarding PSU and hdd mod

Post#1 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:59 am

Hi all,

I've got a few questions regarding my Japanese dreamcast hkt-3000. First off, I removed the top lid and looked at the psu and from what I'm seeing I can insert both 100v and 230v.
Is this possible?
1524149851577-1124130277.jpg

And the second question I have, is a hdd mod possible on a hkt-3000?

Thanks
XVO

Daniël Oosterhuis
noob

Re: Questions regarding PSU and hdd mod

Post#2 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:15 am

You definitely DON'T want to plug 230V into it. The silkscreen writing on the board is referring to the fuse, which is rated for 230V. There is a PSU mod for KAGA 110V powersupplies to get it to work with 230V, but it involves soldering in resistors and replacing a capacitor. Not all Japanese Dreamcasts have the same powersupply though, I recently bought my very first DC, a Japanese model, and I'm going to have to order parts to build my own PSU because this one is not moddable.

You can also preorder the DreamPSU, or DIY a powersupply with a PicoPSU, both of which will allow you to power it with a 12V DC power supply.

XVO
undertow

Re: Questions regarding PSU and hdd mod

Post#3 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:11 pm

Thanks for answering my question, but I allready received my picopsu because I'm going a step further. I'm still waiting for a raspberry pi zero w and an original dell 56k modem ;)