Some New user questions :)

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Nodoyuna
shadow

Some New user questions :)

Post#1 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:11 am

Hi, First post here... ;)

I have a japanese Dreamcast, USB-GDROM PCB, and I'm waiting for receive in a few days the TORO Box... I want to purchase an DreamPSU too

As a new Dreamcast user, I didn't knew about the different output video modes of the console, and the incompatibilities between them. One of the reasons of getting the Toro Box was to be able to run RGB 240p and 480p games at the same tine, without the need of change cables all the time...

I've learned there are games not VGA compatible, but that can be patched in order to make them VGA compatible, but all the info I've found about this, is referred to CDI images

My first question is: can GDI dumps (I'm using TOSEC) be patched for VGA compatibility? What's the best method for that?

I've noticed that USB-GDROM can play GDI and CDI dumps, but somehow, it's better reading GDI's than CDI's

So, can a CDI release (like the latest unlicensed games) be converted to GDI format?

Also, about the video output options, I have a few questions too:

1) Are there some games that can't be patched for VGA?
2) Is there any option to play non-RGB compatible games in 240p, without the need of change cables?

Thanks in advance

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Re: Some New user questions :)

Post#2 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:39 am

I use vga and have never actually had a game not play over vga. The list is small that doesn't do vga. I was worried about it too. But am very happy that I went with the vga cables.

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#3 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:09 am

With the Toro you can get most of the non-VGA games to boot in VGA without patching. It has a VGA/RGB switch. For problem games you start the console in RGB mode then switch it to VGA right after the Dreamcast logo. Might take a few tries to get the timing down.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:23 am

I worry about switch trick and the wear almost always the positioning of the screen is bad when I switch trick the Toro. To make 240p games run great Bangai-O n such can do the reverse switch trick though!!! Amazing

For that I'll boot disc DC-IE er Codebreaker er just head over to secondary s-vid setup

Nodoyuna
shadow

Post#5 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:06 am

Thanks for the info. My VGA box Will arrive this week and then I'll try the trick. My plan is to check all the TOSEC library...
I've noticed some games have framedrop issues when playing vídeos. I don't know the reason, as other games are perfect
I'm running a NTSC-J console, vía oficial RGB cable through a CRT TV. The TV is PAL but It does support NTSC. The HDD is a 2Tb USB 2.0 device, formatted in FAT32 with 64k cluster size
Any ideas? Should I try an USB 3.0 HDD?
Thanks un advance