VMU Problem/oddity

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

pipporamone
undertow

VMU Problem/oddity

Post#1 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:43 am

Hi there!

I don't know if it is really a problem or it is normal but some of my VMUs (apparently early models) take a longer period to switch off after Dreamcast switch off. (like a couple of minutes).

Other ones switch off suddenly after Dreamcast switch off (like after 2 seconds).

Is that normal? you can set auto switch off? Later revisions of VMU have shorter time for saving batteries?

p.s. All my vmus have new batteries

Thanks

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Re: VMU Problem/oddity

Post#2 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:55 am

Normal behavior is for the VMU's to rapidly stop after the DC powers off. If they remain active, that sounds like a hardware bug or a revision difference. My bet is that the VMU's continue to operate from battery power while connected to the controllers, and then their auto-switch-off activates, just like if you were playing a VMU-based game on the VMU and then left it alone for 10 minutes.

However, it is nothing to worry about - the worst case scenario is that the batteries for the VMU's won't last as long.

XVO
undertow

Post#3 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:50 am

Does anyone know if I can put rechargeable 2032 in my vmu so that it charges while playing? Because with my DC mod and restoration project I've bought a set of three batteries instead of one.

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#4 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:02 am

Since the VMU wasn't designed to charge the batteries while inside a controller, I doubt it.