Console fix? Anyone?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Dostuff
dark night

Console fix? Anyone?

Post#1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:04 pm

I have a Dreamcast that has a known working power supply, that powers on for a second or two then shuts off? I am confident it is not a power supply issue. Any suggestions?

krssn
Metallic

Re: Console fix? Anyone?

Post#2 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:52 pm

Check if the fan works when you turn it on...

Dostuff
dark night

Post#3 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:53 pm

When I remove the GD ROM, the system starts and stays on. I assume it is booting since I have not connected ti to a monitor. At this point I believe the GD ROM is bad. are there any known issues and repairs for this? If my only choice is to get a new drive, then I will most likely go solid state. What are your thoughts?

Dostuff
dark night

Post#4 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:20 pm

Update, I placed a working GD ROM in the broken DC and it worked. So I know the drive is bad. Any common issues that can be fixed?

krssn
Metallic

Post#5 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:15 am

Never had any troubles like that with the drive. So I'm out.

SomeGuyWithASega
photon blast

Post#6 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:06 pm

I've recently had an issue with my DC where the laser wouldn't read any games (I guess someone was touching the laser, definitely not me). I fixed it by opening up the Dreamcast and turning the orange screw in the back of the laser assembly a tenth of a clockwise rotation. This increases the power of the laser to make it read games better. If this doesn't work, you could try cleaning the laser with a cotton swab with a dab of rubbing alcohol on it.

You may have to end up replacing the laser or the entire assembly though. There are tutorials for that, but it does require a bit of soldering.