Please help me get online !

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum
User avatar
pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Posts: 5641
Contact:

Re: Please help me get online !

Post#21 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:27 am

olie3146 wrote:
pcwzrd13 wrote:Feel free to add description/picture to any guide to help further people out if they have similar problems, this is a very convincing fake until you open it up.


I'll add it to my troubleshooting guide with a picture of the real one. Good to know there are fakes (odd thing to say :lol:). This knowledge should save some people similar headaches in the future. You're the first to buy a bootleg so luckily it seems they aren't very common.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

olie3146
letterbomb
Posts: 150

Re: Please help me get online !

Post#22 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:31 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:
olie3146 wrote:
pcwzrd13 wrote:Feel free to add description/picture to any guide to help further people out if they have similar problems, this is a very convincing fake until you open it up.


I'll add it to my troubleshooting guide with a picture of the real one. Good to know there are fakes (odd thing to say :lol:). This knowledge should save some people similar headaches in the future. You're the first to buy a bootleg so luckily it seems they aren't very common.


Cool, frustrating yes but I've finally figured the problem out, I have a high suspicion I purchased mine on eBay (which wouldn't surprise me) but cant see it in my history. im quite relived that hopefully my new one will come and I can just plug in and get online :)

Thanks for everyones help.

User avatar
pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Posts: 5641
Contact:

Re: Please help me get online !

Post#23 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:50 am

Hopefully you'll be up and running soon with the new modem. :)

For future reference, here's the real one:

Image
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

olie3146
letterbomb
Posts: 150

Re: Please help me get online !

Post#24 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:02 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:Hopefully you'll be up and running soon with the new modem. :)

For future reference, here's the real one:

Image


Very different then lol, I shall check my new one and report back when it arrives :)

mrneo240
Beats of Rage
Posts: 415

Re: Please help me get online !

Post#25 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:23 am

olie3146 wrote:ok thanks, the pi is hooked up to my monitor and I can get a get a keyboard, what specifically am I looking for?


I think you are supposed to put your DC in the DMZ not pi but I WOULD NOT recommend either. The internet is a big big scary not friendly place, putting stuff in the DMZ is just asking for trouble. Just wanted to let you know, if you are worried about ports you have 2 options:
1. (Better) use a program to use UPnP to open the ports
2. (Good) use portforwarding on your router

User avatar
pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Posts: 5641
Contact:

Re: Please help me get online !

Post#26 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:54 am

mrneo240 wrote:I think you are supposed to put your DC in the DMZ not pi but I WOULD NOT recommend either. The internet is a big big scary not friendly place, putting stuff in the DMZ is just asking for trouble.


There's absolutely no security risk by putting your Dreamcast in DMZ. All you're doing is exposing the Dreamcast (and nothing else on your network) to the internet. No one is going to hack into your Dreamcast. :lol: While it is a bad idea to put something like a PC in a DMZ because it's a very enticing target for malicious attacks, game consoles aren't of any interest to a hacker, let alone one from 1999 that doesn't have any personal information stored on it.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

mrneo240
Beats of Rage
Posts: 415

Re: Please help me get online !

Post#27 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:01 pm

I get that but id rather not risk any of it but it probably is fairly safe. I'm probably over security conscious but it can't hurt.

Dreampi and Dreamcast are vlanned away from everything, WiFi is vlanned away, Ethernet is a vlan... Either way PCWZRD13 the dreampi package is awesome and has been working flawless for me

User avatar
Xiden
Super Sonic
Posts: 1528

Re: Please help me get online !

Post#28 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:11 pm

my dreamcast is always thinking. theres my contribution to this

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Support”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users