[USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum
User avatar
Xiden
Super Sonic
Posts: 1529

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#151 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:03 pm

qerw wrote:Hi I have a question. Recently I bought a GDEMU (SD Reader) and it's in on the way and I have doubts now. I read that If you remove the GDROM Unit, the PSU it gets warmer... The question is, is it necessary change the PSU and put a external one? Thanks!


You can keep using the same PSU, but its recommend you go on ebay or amazon and buy a "300 Ohm 1/4W resistor" Usually comes in a pack of 10, super cheap.

Then watch this video for the super easy install. Its plug and play, no soldering needed :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVKN3pQ11wM&t=1m40s - I've timed stamped it for you.

dannykryan
noob
Posts: 2

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#152 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:48 am

Hi Everyone, I recieved my USB GDROM earlier this week (only about 10 days after I ordered it) but I am having trouble getting it to run and I've read through everything I could find on the web and tried everything.

I thought one of you guys might be able to help me... I really wanted to get this working by christmas!

I have tried four different drives:

2 USB pen drives, one 8GB (transcend), one 16GB (Media star) both boot to the logo animation (with sound) and then straight to the CD player.
2 2TB external HDDs (both Seagate), both take 5-10 seconds and go straight to the Dreamcast logo (no sound, no animation) and no further.

All drives are formatted to FAT32, 64kb clusters using various software including guiformat, EaseUS, AMOIE partition manager, fat32format and windows own formatting tool.

I have tried both root_init and root_init2

toggling the console lid switch does nothing.

Any ideas? I'll try anything!

Thanks in advance.

User avatar
Xiden
Super Sonic
Posts: 1529

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#153 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:13 am

dannykryan wrote:Hi Everyone, I recieved my USB GDROM earlier this week (only about 10 days after I ordered it) but I am having trouble getting it to run and I've read through everything I could find on the web and tried everything.

I thought one of you guys might be able to help me... I really wanted to get this working by christmas!

I have tried four different drives:

2 USB pen drives, one 8GB (transcend), one 16GB (Media star) both boot to the logo animation (with sound) and then straight to the CD player.
2 2TB external HDDs (both Seagate), both take 5-10 seconds and go straight to the Dreamcast logo (no sound, no animation) and no further.

All drives are formatted to FAT32, 64kb clusters using various software including guiformat, EaseUS, AMOIE partition manager, fat32format and windows own formatting tool.

I have tried both root_init and root_init2

toggling the console lid switch does nothing.

Any ideas? I'll try anything!

Thanks in advance.


Make sure you have seated the USB-GDRom properly, doesn't even seem like its making a connection at all. I would uninstall and make sure its on the connector all the way and try again.

rhester72
noob
Posts: 2

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#154 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:09 am

Does USB GDROM support shrunk GDI images?

I've tried GDIRebuilder and GDIShrink, and both appear to create valid GDI images but neither boot on the latest UDB GDROM firmware. The original, unmodified GDI image boots fine.

User avatar
Xiden
Super Sonic
Posts: 1529

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#155 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:40 am

rhester72 wrote:Does USB GDROM support shrunk GDI images?

I've tried GDIRebuilder and GDIShrink, and both appear to create valid GDI images but neither boot on the latest UDB GDROM firmware. The original, unmodified GDI image boots fine.


Id could ask Mnemo to consider supporting it. What's the purpose of shrunk gdi images?
Just size reductions ?

rhester72
noob
Posts: 2

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#156 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:17 pm

Absolutely - for full collections, it's about 25% of the size!

atrainn
noob
Posts: 1

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#157 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:30 pm

Has anyone had issues with the newest firmware? I installed it today and now my USB-GDRom won't boot anything (neither CDI nor GDI), it just freezes when trying to launch a game and never actually leaves the menu.

I've had a bit of back and forth with Mnemo so far, but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

I've tried using a new flash drive, formatting using the recommended tool on his site, getting TOSEC dumps...but to no avail.

Edit: Mnemo sorted it out for me. Turns out I shouldn't have gone from a four year old version of the firmware to the newest release haha

qerw
noob
Posts: 3

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#158 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:22 pm

Xiden wrote:
qerw wrote:Hi I have a question. Recently I bought a GDEMU (SD Reader) and it's in on the way and I have doubts now. I read that If you remove the GDROM Unit, the PSU it gets warmer... The question is, is it necessary change the PSU and put a external one? Thanks!


You can keep using the same PSU, but its recommend you go on ebay or amazon and buy a "300 Ohm 1/4W resistor" Usually comes in a pack of 10, super cheap.

Then watch this video for the super easy install. Its plug and play, no soldering needed :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVKN3pQ11wM&t=1m40s - I've timed stamped it for you.


Wow. Thank you so much! I'll try it.

pierre898
noob
Posts: 2

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#159 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:10 pm

How long does a firmware update usually take? I've been waiting for about 10 mins and it seems hung up.

User avatar
Xiden
Super Sonic
Posts: 1529

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#160 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:19 pm

pierre898 wrote:How long does a firmware update usually take? I've been waiting for about 10 mins and it seems hung up.


Pretty quick about a min or so. Are you updating super old firmware?

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Support”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users