[USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Xiden
Developer

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#91 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:58 pm

RXShorty wrote:Sweet! Thanks again.
I also having some problems when booting after a time not using the Dreamcast and still didnt replace my battery.
Going to add it to my to do list!

Just got back from Japan and scored some maracas! :)

Yeah if you leave your DC off for some time and then try to boot then you get the issue I had. Its the battery :) For a temp fix, unplug the back for a about 30-60 seconds then plug back in and it should work :)

Xiden
Developer

Post#92 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:16 pm

RXShorty wrote:Sweet! Thanks again.
I also having some problems when booting after a time not using the Dreamcast and still didnt replace my battery.
Going to add it to my to do list!

Just got back from Japan and scored some maracas! :)

Forgot to mention also I did clean my Power supply pins. (Usually the pins bend forward over time causing the dreaded random reset issue). So while you change the battery be sure to clean your power supply pins as well :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN6ZQFg89BA

squidster55
noob

Post#93 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:17 pm

So I litterally just installed my USB GDROM and i went to update the firmware to the latest one on mnemos website and now when I try to launch a game it just says "Contact with MNEMO" on the screen and if I try to launch the firmware update again it kicks me out to the music player. I saw a post an older post that said something about a special update so I tried that and it didn't do anything. I'm going to be mad if I bricked this thing already.

Xiden
Developer

Post#94 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:40 pm

squidster55 wrote:So I litterally just installed my USB GDROM and i went to update the firmware to the latest one on mnemos website and now when I try to launch a game it just says "Contact with MNEMO" on the screen and if I try to launch the firmware update again it kicks me out to the music player. I saw a post an older post that said something about a special update so I tried that and it didn't do anything. I'm going to be mad if I bricked this thing already.

Its not bricked but he'll likely have to give you a custom firmware to try on your drive

Email him [email protected] and tell him the error you are getting. FYI unfortunately it might take a few days for him to respond :( but %99.99 of the time he can fix it by giving you custom firmware.

Friend of Sonic
shadow

Post#95 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:43 am

I'm scared to update to the newest firmware. I'm using an older one that's generally agreed to work well, but I'm curious if I'm giving up any possible performance benefit. The new menu also looks slightly easier on the eyes

RXShorty
photon blast

Post#96 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:03 pm

I can understand that.
With the latest firmware the color has been changed in the menu from blue to black.

Not sure what it is should fix so if everything works for you there is no reason to upgrade for now.

I have read on assemblergames people had to upgrade first to the 17-05-09 pach before going to the latest...
I haven't upgraded yet so can't say anything about it I am afraid.
DreamOn!

Xiden
Developer

Post#97 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:13 pm

I recently updated to the latest firmware. The green and black version lol. I do my normal rounds of testing like D2 swap, sega swirl, disc swap games, leave games running for hours. No issues :)

I actively beta test for Mnemo when he has new firmware. I've been fortunate with no issues yet. Seems that when people do have firmware issues hes able to hotfix it remotely with a patch.

Friend of Sonic
shadow

Post#98 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:25 pm

Does that mean when D2 randomly breaks, it isn't necessarily the firmware but only certain people? It seemed to me that a firmware would break D2, then it'd be fixed, then broken, etc. Interesting if it's isolated issues

Xiden
Developer

Post#99 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:48 am

Friend of Sonic wrote:Does that mean when D2 randomly breaks, it isn't necessarily the firmware but only certain people? It seemed to me that a firmware would break D2, then it'd be fixed, then broken, etc. Interesting if it's isolated issues

A lot of the D2 issues come from a bad copy of the game from my experience. I found the TruRip copy of the game the only one that doesn't freeze up.

Some peoples issues have to do with their Dreamcast also and not the usb-gdrom. Such as random resets, which require "the power supply fix" and needing to change clock battery.

Also could be a bad usb drive they are using lol. Unfortunately his device really can't distinguish these problems.

fandangos
noob

Post#100 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:09 pm

Hi, first post here just to ask a small question.

I'm switching my pendrive for a 500GB 2.5" hard drive in a seagate enclousure.
The usb gdrom doesn't output enough amps on the 5v line for the hard drive to start spinning.

If I swap the dreamcast psu with a pico psu, that should have enough amps for everything, would that work?
Or should I use a powered enclousure?