[USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

RXShorty
photon blast

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#251 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:08 am

Falthian wrote:Hi everyone

So I'm wondering if anyone in here might be able to shed some light on the issue I'm having. I have a USB GDROM as well as a region-free BIOS installed, Japanese Cake version 1.031. It works perfectly fine, no issues at all. However, if I update to version 1.032, my USB GDROM no longer works, it just hangs after the Dreamcast splash screen and won't boot into the menu. I've spoken to a few others about this and their USB GDROM works perfectly fine with Japanese Cake v1.032 so I know it is possible, I'm just unsure as to why mine refuses to boot with that version installed but works perfectly fine with 1.031. I'm running the latest firmware on my USB GDROM dated 6/6/19 and I have a VA1 Dreamcast.

Thanks in advance!

Did you try to contact nemo about this?
I don't know any solution right now. :?
DreamOn!

Dreamcrashed
noob

Post#252 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:34 am

MicMey wrote:Technically can you tell me the difference between putting a single resistor of 1 / 4w 330 ohm and putting 3 resistors of 1 / 4w 1K ohm, what is the difference and the best?

what is the best solution 1x 1/4w 330 ohm or 3x 1/4w 1K ohm ?

I don't know what your specifically referencing, but if you are talking about putting the resistors on the power supply to help put a load on the unused (12V?) line, then it doesn't matter.

The way resistors work, if you put them in parallel with each other, meaning if you have 3 x 1K ohms resistors touching all of one of their sides together and the other sides are also toughing them together, but on a different part of a circuit then they are in parallel....here is a pic of what a parallel circuit looks like:

The way the math works out for finding the total resistance of a group of parallel resistors is the sum of inverses....it looks like this:

1/Rtotal = 1/R + 1/R +1/R + ...... + 1/R

SO!

1/1000 + 1/1000 + 1/1000 = 1/Rtotal ------> (add all of them up)
3/1000 = 1/Rtotal -----> (invert both sides)
1000/3 = Rtotal/1 -----> (divide)
333 ohms.

So 3 x 1k ohm in parallel is EXACTLY equal to one single 333 ohm resistor. I only use one 333 ohm resistor and there's absolutely no reason for you to stuff 3 resistors in parallel to get the exact same effect.

snoozingJohn
noob

Post#253 » Sat May 09, 2020 4:09 am

Hi all !
I'm a noob with the USB GDROM. I read information on many forums and I can now run my game from the USB GDROM with my Dreamcast.
I have also the lid soldered on my board.

When I want to change game, I switch off my Dreamcast (with the usual physical Power button) and then I switch on....
Is there any other procedure to do this ? Can we go back to the USB GDROM's menu through a combination of buttons ( like say LEFT trigger + RIGHT trigger + Start ) ?
Do you think that the manufacturer will one day implement this fonction in his firmware ?
Sorry if it's a noob question...

Xiden
Developer

Post#254 » Sat May 09, 2020 9:00 pm

snoozingJohn wrote:Hi all !
I'm a noob with the USB GDROM. I read information on many forums and I can now run my game from the USB GDROM with my Dreamcast.
I have also the lid soldered on my board.

When I want to change game, I switch off my Dreamcast (with the usual physical Power button) and then I switch on....
Is there any other procedure to do this ? Can we go back to the USB GDROM's menu through a combination of buttons ( like say LEFT trigger + RIGHT trigger + Start ) ?
Do you think that the manufacturer will one day implement this fonction in his firmware ?
Sorry if it's a noob question...

Unfortunately there is currently no way to go back to the disc menu screen after a game starts. I don't think he will be implementing any more features doing to the product being discontinued due to lack of parts. However I can shoot him an email and ask.

snoozingJohn
noob

Post#255 » Mon May 11, 2020 4:41 am

Thanks for you answer, Xiden !
If you can email the producer, it will be great !
I remember when I asked, multiple time him in order to get status.... not easy !!

TheLegendOfXela
noob

Post#256 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:20 pm

Last edited by TheLegendOfXela on Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xiden
Developer

Post#257 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:17 pm

TheLegendOfXela wrote:Hey guys, I sent my USB GD-Rom to Belarus, but it got returned to me, probably because of the Covid-19 mailing situation.

Since I have it again, could anyone help me solve my problems?
My games will play for a little while, and gradually the audio will become much lower-pitched, loading times will get long, and the game will crash. I won't be able to boot the console anymore until I take the USB GD-Rom out and put it back in.

This happened after I updated the console to the newest firmware. Is there anything I could try to fix my unit?

Thanks everyone!

Never heard of this issue before. Id recommend emailing [email protected] directly for this issue. He may have to make you custom firmware to fix issue.

arthur071169
noob

Post#258 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:31 pm

I have just gone to 3do-renovation.ru in order to download the latest USB-GDROM firmware but the domain has lapsed. would someone be willing to email me the latest firmware and dashboard.iso files for my USB-GDROM?

I know I am running the version that was timebombed (blue menu and not black) so would appreciate someone helping me out so I can go back to playing 18 wheeler on my DC.

many thanks,
Arthur.

Xiden
Developer

Post#259 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:01 pm

arthur071169 wrote:I have just gone to 3do-renovation.ru in order to download the latest USB-GDROM firmware but the domain has lapsed. would someone be willing to email me the latest firmware and dashboard.iso files for my USB-GDROM?

I know I am running the version that was timebombed (blue menu and not black) so would appreciate someone helping me out so I can go back to playing 18 wheeler on my DC.

many thanks,
Arthur.

latest firmware is on the 1st page of this thread at the top ;)

Xiden
Developer

Post#260 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:09 pm

Mnemo has contacted me and let me know his new website down below.

http://3do-mnemo.com/

I've let RXshorty to update links