[USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

pierre898
noob

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#161 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:06 pm

Xiden wrote:
pierre898 wrote:How long does a firmware update usually take? I've been waiting for about 10 mins and it seems hung up.

Pretty quick about a min or so. Are you updating super old firmware?

I let it go for an hour and nothing happened. Fortunately after killing the power and restarting it wasn't bricked. Sonic Adventure played fine on it after.

I just got it a month ago, but it isn't on the newest FW... so I tried the update. I'm gonna give it a go on a different USB stick, have a 256G USB 2.0 on the way.

Xiden
Developer

Post#162 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:46 pm

pierre898 wrote:
Xiden wrote:
pierre898 wrote:How long does a firmware update usually take? I've been waiting for about 10 mins and it seems hung up.

Pretty quick about a min or so. Are you updating super old firmware?

I let it go for an hour and nothing happened. Fortunately after killing the power and restarting it wasn't bricked. Sonic Adventure played fine on it after.

I just got it a month ago, but it isn't on the newest FW... so I tried the update. I'm gonna give it a go on a different USB stick, have a 256G USB 2.0 on the way.

If its multiple firmwares back you may need to contact mnemo for custom firmware

slerch666
noob

Post#163 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:06 pm

Having trouble with my USB GDROM and hoping someone can help.

It worked the last time I turned it off, now it doesn't.

Here is what happens:
DC logo comes on and sits for a long time
Boots into the system menu and says "scanning disc" and just sits

I have:

Replaced the system's BIOS battery with a new rechargeable one that now holds a charge
cleaned the power supply pins
swapped the USB GDROM to another Dreamcast that works perfectly with a normal GD-ROM. Swapped the regular GD-Rom into the first system, boots games fine.

Tried 3 different USB sticks
Also tried a USB card reader style stick with a 32 GB card installed

For my drives I have formatted to FAT32, 64k clusters (also tried 32k as MNEMO's site says it may work). I have put the ISO file (LaunchDashboard.ISO) onto the cards, along with the folder structure. I have used the folder structure and I have not used the folder structure. I've tried LaunchDashboard.ISO from both of the rar files.

Anything else I should try before hitting up MNEMO?

Xiden
Developer

Post#164 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:44 pm

slerch666 wrote:Having trouble with my USB GDROM and hoping someone can help.

It worked the last time I turned it off, now it doesn't.

Here is what happens:
DC logo comes on and sits for a long time
Boots into the system menu and says "scanning disc" and just sits

I have:

Replaced the system's BIOS battery with a new rechargeable one that now holds a charge
cleaned the power supply pins
swapped the USB GDROM to another Dreamcast that works perfectly with a normal GD-ROM. Swapped the regular GD-Rom into the first system, boots games fine.

Tried 3 different USB sticks
Also tried a USB card reader style stick with a 32 GB card installed

For my drives I have formatted to FAT32, 64k clusters (also tried 32k as MNEMO's site says it may work). I have put the ISO file (LaunchDashboard.ISO) onto the cards, along with the folder structure. I have used the folder structure and I have not used the folder structure. I've tried LaunchDashboard.ISO from both of the rar files.

Anything else I should try before hitting up MNEMO?

Can you re-flash the firmware on the board? If you cannot even access the menu its likely something got shorted out somewhere on the board and you'll have to get with MENMO for repair or replacement.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#165 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:42 pm

Very nice well done ive never used any of it.. but if this would be the post

slerch666
noob

Post#166 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:05 pm

Xiden wrote:Can you re-flash the firmware on the board? If you cannot even access the menu its likely something got shorted out somewhere on the board and you'll have to get with MENMO for repair or replacement.

Sigh.

I can't get the menu to boot at all.

In terms of contacting him, I assume just use the Skype information he provides or is there a different way?

Thanks!

Xiden
Developer

Post#167 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:17 pm

slerch666 wrote:
Xiden wrote:Can you re-flash the firmware on the board? If you cannot even access the menu its likely something got shorted out somewhere on the board and you'll have to get with MENMO for repair or replacement.

Sigh.

I can't get the menu to boot at all.

In terms of contacting him, I assume just use the Skype information he provides or is there a different way?

Thanks!

You can email if him if you want too [email protected]

Pseudopod52
shadow

Post#168 » Fri May 31, 2019 2:35 pm

guerra wrote:Thank you RXShorty and Xiden!
That tips solve me half of problems =D
So, I used the MiniAide Fat32 Formatter program to format my USB pen, and I also notice that the GDI Folder structure was wrong.
I needed to put like: "disc.gdi", "track01.bin", "track02.bin", "track..... etc.".
Now is working good!
One more time thank you for the help =D

How did you manage to rearrange the file order in GDI folder. I can do that in Windows but when I use the USB drive in DC it reverted back and I cannot get any GDI to load.
No problem with CDI images.

Joe

Xiden
Developer

Post#169 » Fri May 31, 2019 9:23 pm

Pseudopod52 wrote:
guerra wrote:Thank you RXShorty and Xiden!
That tips solve me half of problems =D
So, I used the MiniAide Fat32 Formatter program to format my USB pen, and I also notice that the GDI Folder structure was wrong.
I needed to put like: "disc.gdi", "track01.bin", "track02.bin", "track..... etc.".
Now is working good!
One more time thank you for the help =D

How did you manage to rearrange the file order in GDI folder. I can do that in Windows but when I use the USB drive in DC it reverted back and I cannot get any GDI to load.
No problem with CDI images.

Joe

I have each gdi + all related files in its own folder for each game. Then when you select the folder it should automatically boot the game.

Pseudopod52
shadow

Post#170 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:01 am

Xiden,
That's what I did. No go. May try re-formatting using 32k clusters rather than 64. As you can see I am grasping at straws as I am at wit's end.