[USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

arthur071169
noob

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#261 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:21 pm

went to new website and obtained the firmware. happy days.

Greg2600
dark night

Post#262 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:59 am

I see he erased that baloney about only being able to make a limited # of PCB's due to a connected he wouldn't restock.

LazurWulf
noob

Post#263 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:26 am

I apologize if this isn't the right thread to ask, but thought I'd take a shot. With the USB GDROM, what's the consensus on the best format (CDI or GDI) and are folks using a USB stick or an externally powered USB hard drive? Also, is there a preferred structure for the games? Is the best format to just extract the GDIs to their own folders and then go into each, select the GDI file and go?
I'm trying to prep a drive while my DC Digital is being installed. Thanks in advance for any help!

Also: While the USB GDROM only supports USB2 for speeds, has anyone plugged a USB 3.0 device into it and does it work? Thanks!

EDIT: Looks like GDI is the way to go. It also looks like USB 3 will work. I'm going to see if I can jam a small HD in there with a sata cable and run off the USB GDROM power. Thanks!

Le Duc
rebel

Post#264 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:47 pm

Hello

Has anyone successfully run the game xenocrisis in GDI?
I only managed to run the CDI version.

Thx

trekts
dark night

Post#265 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:54 pm

I just received my usb-gdrom in the mail today, and I'm experiencing an issue where the dreamcast won't load into the usb-gdrom menu. I've mounted the board properly, I've cleaned the pins, and I'm using a 256gb sandisk thumbdrive. The system just hangs on the dreamcast screen for a few minutes then goes into the dreamcast menu screen. I don't have another console to test this on, and I don't have another thumbdrive laying around. I just emailed MNEMO about my issue, but I thought maybe if I post here, I could get some kind of guidance as to get this thing to work.

This is a newer model w/ a white pcb.

I own two clone GDEMUs and both have worked with no issues for me, but when I tried setting this up, I get absolutely nothing.

any help would be appreciated if there's anyone who had this issue and solved it.

Thanks.

livingonwheels
lithium

Post#266 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:07 pm

I bought one of his ODE for the 3DO and it didn't work at all, until I contacted him and he sent me a file to put on the sd card to 'unlock it'. Some type of protection he placed on it to prevent cloning, I assume. I had no idea I even had to contact him about unlocking it, I just did because it wasn't working.

Xiden
Developer

Post#267 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:32 pm

trekts wrote:I just received my usb-gdrom in the mail today, and I'm experiencing an issue where the dreamcast won't load into the usb-gdrom menu. I've mounted the board properly, I've cleaned the pins, and I'm using a 256gb sandisk thumbdrive. The system just hangs on the dreamcast screen for a few minutes then goes into the dreamcast menu screen. I don't have another console to test this on, and I don't have another thumbdrive laying around. I just emailed MNEMO about my issue, but I thought maybe if I post here, I could get some kind of guidance as to get this thing to work.

This is a newer model w/ a white pcb.

I own two clone GDEMUs and both have worked with no issues for me, but when I tried setting this up, I get absolutely nothing.

any help would be appreciated if there's anyone who had this issue and solved it.

Thanks.

Did you format with fat32 64k cluster size? I use sandisk usb 2.0 drives also as I've had issues with other brands.

trekts
dark night

Post#268 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:25 pm

Did you format with fat32 64k cluster size? I use sandisk usb 2.0 drives also as I've had issues with other brands.

yup, this was the thing i did before the USB-GDROM shipped. i read from somewhere that a user was experiencing a similar issue, and that MNEMO sent a file that magically fixed everything. I emailed him. I've tried just about everything to get this board to work and still no dice. i'm at my wits end with this.

trekts
dark night

Post#269 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:57 am

Update:

Finally got it working. MNEMO suggested I use a USB 2.0. Luckily, I actually did have an extra lying around and reformatted it. After inital reformat, I was getting an error saying that a fat32 device could not be detected, so I reformatted the drive again, and now it works beautifully.

Xiden
Developer

Post#270 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:09 pm

trekts wrote:Update:

Finally got it working. MNEMO suggested I use a USB 2.0. Luckily, I actually did have an extra lying around and reformatted it. After inital reformat, I was getting an error saying that a fat32 device could not be detected, so I reformatted the drive again, and now it works beautifully.

Awesome! Glad you got it working. Yeah I had to use a USB 2.0 as well on mine.