USB-GDROM, how to buy?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum
Xiden
Super Sonic

Re: USB-GDROM, how to buy?

Post#21 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:28 am

UglyGoblinBoy wrote:Ok, so I just got my USB GDROM and installed it. So far so good, but I'm having trouble loading IVES PSO from it. When I load the CDI it just cuts to a black screen and then freezes.

Any help?

Do you have the latest firmware?
Also did you obtain it from psopalace.sylverant.net?
If so do other GDI's/CDI's work?

UglyGoblinBoy
rebel

Post#22 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:59 am

Yup, I downloaded all three files and updated the firmware when I got the unit. All three just go black after the splash screen. I also had some trouble with a CDI file of Sonic Adventure, it just kicks me back to the home menu.

Xiden
Super Sonic

Post#23 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:07 pm

UglyGoblinBoy wrote:Yup, I downloaded all three files and updated the firmware when I got the unit. All three just go black after the splash screen. I also had some trouble with a CDI file of Sonic Adventure, it just kicks me back to the home menu.

So its possible that your HDD or USB Stick are not formatted correctly:

You'll need a program called MiniAide
http://download.cnet.com/MiniAide-Fat32 ... 01815.html

1. Use FAT32
2. Use 64 Clusters.
3. Make sure that hard drive partition is MBR. *** VERY IMPORTANT OR YOUR DRIVE WON'T BOOT **

Alternatively you can try http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/dre ... release-2/ and see if that works

Also you should be using GDI's for games when possible since it's a 1:1 copy. IVES is the only CDI I use because its actually a little better than the original game lol.

Entire GDI DC Library is here
viewtopic.php?t=10412

UglyGoblinBoy
rebel

Post#24 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:14 pm

Thanks so much, I just reformatted with Fat32Format and the proper settings, now it seems to work. Holy smokes PSO runs fast! No load times at all, even while connecting. This is a pretty amazing rig, and I just ordered 2 DreamPSUs so hopefully that will allow me to connect a liquid cooling unit:)

RetrogamerX
shadow

Post#25 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:47 am

Does anyone have a USB 2.0 compatibility list for USB GD-ROM? I have a 128gb usb 2.0, but wanted a USB 256gb 2.0 that would work with usb gdrom. There are so many fake usb sticks.