Internet Setup Issues (DMZed and still having connection problems on DreamPi)

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

namine207
core

Internet Setup Issues (DMZed and still having connection problems on DreamPi)

Post#1 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:55 am

Hello!

I recently changed locations and as a result changed internet connections. I have a router (Archer C7 v2) connected to a DSL modem (SmartRG 360n) that's in bridge mode, authenticating via PPPoE. I have the DreamPi connected, and in the router settings it's been statices and DMZed. I've also disabled the SPI Firewall.Unfortunately I've been having a host of problems ranging from:

-Planet Ring says it can't access the login server (typically of when it can't send packets back and forth)
-The Next Tetris won't let me get past the login screen
-AFO will get me into a game, but then cite connection issues and disconnect

I haven't had too much time to test out the other games, but I already know 4x4 is likely to be a pain. XD I figured it's worth asking if anyone else has experience with this, and might know something I could try to get this working alright.

Thanks in advance!

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Re: Internet Setup Issues (DMZed and still having connection problems on DreamPi)

Post#2 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:00 pm

DMZ the Dreamcast..not the Pi...

Xiden
Developer

Re: Internet Setup Issues (DMZed and still having connection problems on DreamPi)

Post#3 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:31 pm

namine207 wrote:Hello!

I recently changed locations and as a result changed internet connections. I have a router (Archer C7 v2) connected to a DSL modem (SmartRG 360n) that's in bridge mode, authenticating via PPPoE. I have the DreamPi connected, and in the router settings it's been statices and DMZed. I've also disabled the SPI Firewall.Unfortunately I've been having a host of problems ranging from:

-Planet Ring says it can't access the login server (typically of when it can't send packets back and forth)
-The Next Tetris won't let me get past the login screen
-AFO will get me into a game, but then cite connection issues and disconnect

I haven't had too much time to test out the other games, but I already know 4x4 is likely to be a pain. XD I figured it's worth asking if anyone else has experience with this, and might know something I could try to get this working alright.

Thanks in advance!

make sure you DMZ the dreamcasts IP, should end in .98 (For most people here it will be 192.168.1.98)

namine207
core

Post#4 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:37 pm

Oh, dang it. XD I'm stupid. Thank you guys for the quick responses, just changed it and am testing out as soon as the TV becomes available. X3

namine207
core

Post#5 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:08 pm

Woot, okay, finally back at this after months. XD Moved into a new home that also uses a PPPoE based fiber network, and am finally done moving so I get to focus on getting this DreamPi situation working.

Unfortunately, it looks like V1.6 of the DreamPi software signals the return of the Dell Modem bug with the Pi 3, so I have to launch the daemon manually via putty. However, even when I do that, most games don't connect. I've tested this with my router DMZing and port forwarding my Dreamcast, which is how I've had this set up before when I was using a traditional broadband network. Is there some sort of issue with Dreampi on a PPPoE network?

Xiden
Developer

Post#6 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:15 pm

namine207 wrote:Woot, okay, finally back at this after months. XD Moved into a new home that also uses a PPPoE based fiber network, and am finally done moving so I get to focus on getting this DreamPi situation working.

Unfortunately, it looks like V1.6 of the DreamPi software signals the return of the Dell Modem bug with the Pi 3, so I have to launch the daemon manually via putty. However, even when I do that, most games don't connect. I've tested this with my router DMZing and port forwarding my Dreamcast, which is how I've had this set up before when I was using a traditional broadband network. Is there some sort of issue with Dreampi on a PPPoE network?

are you Dmzing xx.xx.xx.98? <--- your DC's IP not your PI's IP

namine207
core

Post#7 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:21 pm

Yes^^ In this instance that's what's currently DMZed

Xiden
Developer

Post#8 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:29 pm

namine207 wrote:Yes^^ In this instance that's what's currently DMZed

are you able to at the very least get on Quake or connect to the internet?

namine207
core

Post#9 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:40 pm

Yes! If I run ./dreampi.py --no-daemon, the dreampi starts up and it does connect to the internet inside of XDP, but most games don't work, gonna have to burn a copy of quake to test however. The error that comes up when I try to run dreampi without a daemon (and likely why it isn't working at statup) is:

IPTABLES error “iptables: No chain/target/match by that name”

Likewise, when it starts up it says that it couldn't initialize DHCP due to /etc/network/interfaces. I nanoed into the file to check it and it looks pretty standard to what one would find inside of a Pi.

Update: Looks like a quick sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade allow the Dreampi daemon to start upon reboot. Running under no daemon mode right now to check for errors in Putty however. Trying with AFO with .98 DMZed and all ports forwarded.

Update 2: Woot! Just tried AFO and it loaded in without instantly disconnecting! That's a great sign! A bit too soon to tell for sure but testing Planet Ring (which in my experience tends to be the one that throws issues the most) and if that works then I'll have to join in on one of the game nights to test it out with other people (which also tends to throw any otehr potential errors if they exist.

Update 3: Planet Ring hates me. XD Also for some strange reason pinging dreampi.local and/or trying to configure on DC now doesn't do anything. It also doesn't show me as online on DC Now.

Xiden
Developer

Post#10 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:34 pm

namine207 wrote:Yes! If I run ./dreampi.py --no-daemon, the dreampi starts up and it does connect to the internet inside of XDP, but most games don't work, gonna have to burn a copy of quake to test however. The error that comes up when I try to run dreampi without a daemon (and likely why it isn't working at statup) is:

IPTABLES error “iptables: No chain/target/match by that name”

Likewise, when it starts up it says that it couldn't initialize DHCP due to /etc/network/interfaces. I nanoed into the file to check it and it looks pretty standard to what one would find inside of a Pi.

Update: Looks like a quick sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade allow the Dreampi daemon to start upon reboot. Running under no daemon mode right now to check for errors in Putty however. Trying with AFO with .98 DMZed and all ports forwarded.

Update 2: Woot! Just tried AFO and it loaded in without instantly disconnecting! That's a great sign! A bit too soon to tell for sure but testing Planet Ring (which in my experience tends to be the one that throws issues the most) and if that works then I'll have to join in on one of the game nights to test it out with other people (which also tends to throw any otehr potential errors if they exist.

Update 3: Planet Ring hates me. XD Also for some strange reason pinging dreampi.local and/or trying to configure on DC now doesn't do anything. It also doesn't show me as online on DC Now.

Is your DNS setting on your dreamcast set to 0.0.0.0 on both primary and secondary? That may possibly help with DCNow. If not you might PM PCwzrd13 for more assistance.