Can PSO V1 Play with PSO V2?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Halcyon
rebel

Can PSO V1 Play with PSO V2?

Post#1 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:54 pm

Hey guys and gals,

As the subject says, is it possible to play Phantasy star online together if two people have different versions. I just finished building my brother a dreampi and will mail it to him soon. He has PSO Ver1 and i have PSO version 2. Will we be able to play together? Or do i need to buy him a version 2 disk?

Thanks
Halcyon
Robots build Robots

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Can PSO V1 Play with PSO V2?

Post#2 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:56 pm

Yes you can play together. You just need to make sure to make a version 1 team.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#3 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:20 pm

V1 and V2 can play together with some restrictions:

1. Only normal mode can be played. V1 does not have Battle or Challenge modes.
2. Only Normal, Hard, and Very Hard difficulties can be played. V1 does not have Ultimate difficulty.
3. Only V1-compatible quests can be played (of which, there are very few).
4. V2-only items will be changed to basic V1 ones if your friend picks them up, so don't drop any rare items that aren't available in V1 if you are going to want them back at all.
5. V1 can only level up to level 100.

Halcyon
rebel

Post#4 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:54 am

Are there new areas in V2? Would you recommend that i buy a copy of V2 for my brother so we can play together or is it probably fine to play with his V1 limitations
Robots build Robots

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#5 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:16 am

V2 has two additional areas, Spaceship and Palace. You can normally access them only in Battle mode, although I made a quest where you can play them in regular mode.

V2 is absolutely worth the money if you plan to play PSO for any significant period of time. The lack of Ultimate and Challenge mode in V1 is a big limitation, as is the inability to play most quests and pass level 100. You run out of things to do in V1 pretty quickly, which is why nobody plays it.

V1 is fine for starting out, though, as V2 doesn't bring a whole lot to the table until you hit level 80 on your first character. You can start off with V1 until your V2 disc arrives, then convert your character. ;)
"Fear the HUnewearl."