need help setting up my sd card for my gdemu

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

dreamcast459
dark night

need help setting up my sd card for my gdemu

Post#1 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:03 am

hi im kinda lost i have both sd card maker for gdemu installed on my windows 10 pc, as well as gdmenu card manager. i spent several hours on google and youtube, trying ot find a guide that would teach me how to use both of these programs. i have two separate sd cards because i wanna test out both programs to see which one i prefer best in terms of which program i prefer to use for setting up my sd card im autistic not that it matters but my autism is making it difficult for me ot figure out how these programs work hence why im asking for a guide thanks for your time

forgot to mention all of my games are in GDI format they were all downloaded as 1:1 copies of there retails disks i do not want to shrink them i wanna keep the games as is these are copies of legit games i own just so theres no piracy concerns

i need a guide that explains how to use both programs thanks

Odyssey113
shadow

Re: need help setting up my sd card for my gdemu

Post#2 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:06 pm

Should be pretty straight-forward for you bud. Basically if the card is over 2 GB, just make sure to format it in FAT32, if it's 2GB for less do FAT16 format. Cluster size should pretty much be the highest that it will allow you to format it at, so if it offers 64 kb cluster size do that, if it offers 32 kb clusters as the highest choose that. Apparently the guide states 4 GB cards will not work. I haven't confirmed that myself.

This program will help you achieve the formatting you need: https://fat32format-gui.en.lo4d.com/windows

This page will help give you more of the details on that. About halfway down the page.
https://retrogamesultra.com/2019/02/17/ ... and-setup/

After you've confirmed you have formatted the card correctly, either one of those programs should be able to detect your card if it's plugged into your pc. Then just add games as you wish and save changes when done and let the program do it's magic. GDEMU folder needs to be folder number 1, and I know Madsheep's program will automatically put that there for you when you go to add games.

dreamcast459
dark night

Post#3 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:59 pm

i figured out how the programs work thanks

Lew3030
rebel

Post#4 » Mon May 29, 2023 11:05 am

I think the difference in sd maker and gd menu card manager is the later has the ability to shrink the files enormously. You might be apprehensive now to want to shrink your files… but think about it. Taking extra space is so shameful isn’t?