Artifacts on screen with VGA cable

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Meathax
shadow

Artifacts on screen with VGA cable

Post#1 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:11 am

Just got a Japan Dreamcast, put it into a new shell and put in a DreamPSU, pluged it all back together, and I am getting these static type artifacts all over the screen though a VGA cable (first time I've turned it on). Checked all the connections inside they all seem fine.

Tried it though a scaler and straight into a projector, makes no difference. Is this caused by the VGA cable or something else?
Attachments
20230203_170245.jpg

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Re: Artifacts on screen with VGA cable

Post#2 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:16 am

I could be wrong but it might be the PSU.. try the original and see if that helps

Meathax
shadow

Post#3 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:37 pm

So theres no static through normal composite cable, works fine, tried 2 VGA cables and they both have this static, any idea how to fix??

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#4 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:19 pm

Cables must be not shielded and you got interferences in your house or around it.. Never had a problem with cheapest china cable zero static .. Guess you lucked out ..

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#5 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:34 pm

If you have an old house you might have some grounding issues that can do weird stuff, a power conditioner might be a solution https://www.amazon.com/Furman-SS6B-Powe ... 0002D017M/

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#6 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:15 pm

You should try a different VGA cable. Some of those are so poorly made. I had a cheap one where the ground wasn't connected and gave bad interference. If the interference rolls up or down the screen, I would definitely suspect a bad ground.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

cbx
shadow

Post#7 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:43 pm

A video might be more helpful to explain what's the cause.

Meathax
shadow

Post#8 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:37 am

fixed it with a better power adapter

belzebu
noob

Post#9 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:56 am

Hi, i have the same problem too, can you indicate what power adapter chose for fix it ?
thank a lot.
by