[USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Robbie
rebel

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#41 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:14 pm

I will have a look into it.
And keep messing about to see if I can get it working.

The link you have sent me. The downloads don't seem to work.
It says "The folder link you are trying to access is no longer available"

Thank you :-)

Robbie
rebel

Post#42 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:30 pm

Do you need a USB 2.0 device for it to work? As I'm using 3.0 USB devices.

From a Sandisk 64 GB Pen Drive
Sandisk 16GB micro card
USB hard drive.

And right now I'm trying a integral 16GB Pen drive

All USB 3.0 and I don't know what speed integral 16GB Pen drive is.
So I will try it. :-)

I'm just wondering if that's the problem I am having.

Will you please let me know on what make Pen Drive you are using. That will be great.
Only just popped into my head on maybe that's why I'm having problems as USB GD is 2.0 USB port.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update.

One more thing I have notice that Fat32format sometimes plays up.
The tool that is listed in the first post.

Saying

"Faild to open device
GatLastERROR[}-32
The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process"

It will keep on doing that every time I open it. So I have to delete the partition from Windows build in create and format hard disk tool from control panel and then make a new one with out formatting it. Then use the Fat32format tool to format the device and it will work then. But Fat32format plays up on Windows 10 and Windows 7. Sometimes it will work and then it will not work with this error message. Is anyone else having this problem?

I was thinking maybe that's the problem but then I tried Windows build in formatter and also
have tried MinAide Fat32 Formatter and it's still doing the same thing. Hangs

I just tried the integral Pen Drive and still not working.
I'm now trying a Sandisk 8GB pen drive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update

What is TOSEC?
People say use TOSEC format?
I'm so confused by it.

Also Redump or something?

Can somebody please explain what they mean by them both.
Are they different ways to dump games?

Anyway thank you and I will keep looking into it.

Xiden
Developer

Post#43 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:37 pm

I asked the guy if he can reup those links. sorry about that.

The slot is usb 2.0 and I use a sandisk thumbdrive. Not sure if 3.0 usb has issues but that could be the problem

Trurip/tosec/redump are all methods to dump dreamcast gdis

Robbie
rebel

Post#44 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:45 am

Xiden

Okie thank you for your help.

I have tried Sandisk 8GB last night and still was having the same problem. Tried downloading different roms from different sites. But again still crashing when I open the image or not showing up when I click on a folder.

Anyway I have ordered a 64GB USB 2.0 Toshiba Pen drive that is coming today.

I will give that a try and get back to you.

Not got a reply from the guy that makes them.
But I will wait and see if he gets back. :-)

Xiden
Developer

Post#45 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:44 am

Robbie wrote:Xiden

Okie thank you for your help.

I have tried Sandisk 8GB last night and still was having the same problem. Tried downloading different roms from different sites. But again still crashing when I open the image or not showing up when I click on a folder.

Anyway I have ordered a 64GB USB 2.0 Toshiba Pen drive that is coming today.

I will give that a try and get back to you.

Not got a reply from the guy that makes them.
But I will wait and see if he gets back. :-)

It might take a week or two for Mnemo to reply, just from past experience. Hoping its just due to not having a usb 2.0 drive in your case. The USB-Gdroms I've interacted with have been fantastic. But Mnemo is known for being reasonable with helping people/exchanging bad devices.

Alias86
noob

Post#46 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:31 am

Just installed one of these and had it working great until I turned the console off and now the dreamcast keeps asking me for the date when I turn it on and loading into the music player like theres a music cd in the drive but it also dosent detect if the lid is open or closed, I noticed the intro Swirl has changed from orange color to black also.

Has anyone ever run into anything like this, its really strange its like its not detecting the board but its still powering my usb drive and wont boot without a drive connected. I literally didn't change anything just turned it off for an hour, have also tested the internal battery and it tests fine.

Robbie
rebel

Post#47 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:35 pm

Hello,

Just a little update on my USB GDROM.

I have emailed the guy that makes them. About 2 to 3 days back now and still never had a reply from him.
I first emailed him about my problem and all I have got from him the next day is

"Send me video"
"How did you get debug file?"

I don't think he is good with English.

That's all I have got from the guy.

So I sent him a video and asking for some advice. No reply!

Anyway I have tried it with a new 64GB USB 2,0 Pen drive and tried different formats.
I have also tried formatting in different ways. Using different tools.

But had no Luck with it.

No matter what it will just hang when I click on a file to load. The controllers will not do anything and very much dead.

So I'm not going to waste my own time any more and going to get hold off a GDEMU. As they work and never had any problems with mine the one I have got.

So that's my little update. LOL

Thank you to the people that did give me some advice. :mrgreen:

derFunk
noob

Post#48 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:19 pm

Hey all. I just joined the USB GDROM club yesterday. Thanks to some links in the forums, I've downloaded a bunch of GDI images and got them on a thumb drive. I've only tested a couple but they all seem to work.

But one thing that always bothers me is when I'm not running the latest firmware or OS on my devices. I'm feeling like a dolt when it comes to the firmware for this thing. I downloaded the BIN file, put it on my thumb drive, put the thumb drive in the Dreamcast and turn it on. Great so far. Then I select the firmware (from 9/5, the device is running firmware from I think August of 17? can't tell the way the date is formatted, but I think so). The Dreamcast reboots and then it mounts it like an audio disk with two tracks. Obviously that's not right. Can anybody point out what I'm doing wrong?

derFunk
noob

Post#49 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:22 pm

edit: sorry for the double-post.

victoryrhoads
shadow

Post#50 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:54 pm

Hey, so MNEMO isn't responding; wondering if anyone here can help?

I've had my USB GDR for about a year now and it's been great.

However, last night, my game randomly froze. Upon restarting, and selecting the game from the boot menu, I get the error message, "firmware is obsolete".

I've had this happen once before. I replaced the firmware, selected it, it installed, and everything was fine then.

This time however, it's simply not working. I've put the newest firmware "USB-GDROM_fw_17-09-05.bin" on the USB in the root folder, went to boot it up, and the error message "firmware is obsolete" happens again.

Things I've tried to no avail:

- Redownloaded the new firmware and repeated the process above.
- reformatted the USB stick (fat32, 64k cluster)
- took out and cleaned PSU
- took out and put USB GDR back in
- tried 2 different USB sticks
- Put in old GDR, played a disc and it played fine (attempt to rule out the system)