Speed Devils

A section to post your reviews of Dreamcast games. See rules for details.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Rating System: Please include a rating on the scale from 1 to 10. Make sure to put the name of the game in the topic title (game name must be first in the title) Example: 'Toy Racer Review by yadayadagames'. Also include a poll with options 1-10 other users can rate the game (you can add our own subtitles for each ranking or leave it blank). Example: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtop ... f=34&t=789

Poll: Rating

No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
11%
No votes
11%
22%
33%
22%
Total votes: 9

TheCoolinator
Vagabond

Speed Devils

Post#1 » Mon May 17, 2010 10:53 am

Speed Devils has a great vibe to it. Its similar to Road Rash in the extent that the player starts the game with the worst vehicle and slowly climbs his way up the ranks. Speed Devils is a lot more forgiving than any of the Road Rash games however but it's definitely not a walk in the park. From the beginning the player is thrown into the dark underworld of private racing. From your garage you can customize your car(s) with all kinds of different items. New Engines, breaks, nitros, tires, and even buy and sell cars at your leisure.

What really makes Speed Devils a winner is the combination of tracks, options, and storyline. This really puts Speed Devils over the top in the sense that it makes an impression on you. You can tell that the developers put a lot of love and care into this gem. It's not a generic racing title. This one has a lot of heart. Obviously, the graphics are beautiful. Even though its a PC port the Dreamcast handles the colors and framerate effortlessly.

Let's talk about the tracks for a moment. The games primary gimmick was that as the player was drove through the environment, large moving obstacles would appear and challenge the players reflexes. For example, In the Hollywood track there was Jaws, King Kong, and a T-Rex. In other tracks UFO's would crash out of the sky and in the Mexico level there was this big hybrid Lizard-Bird thing. I guess it was a Aztec God they were attempting to depict. Eitherway it was great.

There was also certain tracks that no other developer would of used for a racing games, two of which were Louisiana and Canada race tracks. Now, when was the last time you've ever heard that either of these locations were being used for a racing game? I'd gamble a guess at saying never but they work and they work well. Canada and Aspen Colorado have 2 different kinds of track options. Summer and Winter and I believe that Canada even has an extra option known as Heavy Winter.

I can't call out a name of a racing game that has done this before or since! It's truly a great title and I'm honored to have it as a somewhat exclusive to the Dreamcast library.

Thoughts? Comments? Questions?
"Gaps do not get filled by ignoring them"

"Well, see these men follow no man but me......and I follow no man at all."

http://the-coolinator-lounge.blogspot.com/

50inchDLP
fire

Re: Speed Devils

Post#2 » Mon May 17, 2010 1:19 pm

Speed Devils Online was one of my most played Dreamcast games ever. To this day I found no game that matches the fun and hours I put into the online racing. I had everything for my cars and was ranks very high, it made me so MAD when they reset the rankings and money earned though. but I quickly got back to where I was. The game was just fun. you could make your car look custom, faster, with upgrades. The tracks were a blast with many shortcuts and I never had any trouble finding a race online.. It was perfect and showed that Sega had the system for online far before these crappy RROD and ps3 had online. it makes me so mad when kids think Live is the first console online that was used widely, because it was NOT. any night I could play PSO and it was crowded as hell, pop in evo, daytona, Speed devils onine and they all had plenty of games going. I miss the Seganet days so much guys.

Plus how many racing games had tornadoes going through the track while you race????

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#3 » Mon May 17, 2010 6:16 pm

Amen to that, bro!
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

sidney
noob

Post#4 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:19 pm

Loved that game!

beanboy
Wazza

Post#5 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:10 am

I like this review. Now I'm more than willing, to check this game out. :D

TheCoolinator wrote:Let's talk about the tracks for a moment. The games primary gimmick was that as the player was drove through the environment, large moving obstacles would appear and challenge the players reflexes. For example, In the Hollywood track there was Jaws, King Kong, and a T-Rex. In other tracks UFO's would crash out of the sky and in the Mexico level there was this big hybrid Lizard-Bird thing. I guess it was a Aztec God they were attempting to depict. Eitherway it was great.

Dude! What the heck? UFO's, T-Rex? :shock:
Lol! :lol:

TheCoolinator wrote:There was also certain tracks that no other developer would of used for a racing games, two of which were Louisiana and Canada race tracks. Now, when was the last time you've ever heard that either of these locations were being used for a racing game? I'd gamble a guess at saying never but they work and they work well. Canada and Aspen Colorado have 2 different kinds of track options. Summer and Winter and I believe that Canada even has an extra option known as Heavy Winter.

I can't call out a name of a racing game that has done this before or since! It's truly a great title and I'm honored to have it as a somewhat exclusive to the Dreamcast library.

Thoughts? Comments? Questions?

Yeah I agree. It's not everyday, that you see a Louisiana race track, in a racing game.
I watched a vid of this game the other day, and was surprised to see a Louisiana track.
I was like, Louisiana? Wooah! I wasn't expecting that. :)

Louisiana Popeyes!
Yep, I had to say it. :lol: