Daytona USA

A section to post your reviews of Dreamcast games. See rules for details.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Rating System: Please include a rating on the scale from 1 to 10. Make sure to put the name of the game in the topic title (game name must be first in the title) Example: 'Toy Racer Review by yadayadagames'. Also include a poll with options 1-10 other users can rate the game (you can add our own subtitles for each ranking or leave it blank). Example: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtop ... f=34&t=789

Poll: Daytona Racing - DC Rating

4%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
8%
13%
38%
29%
8%
Total votes: 24

TheCoolinator
Vagabond

Daytona USA

Post#1 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:03 am

Hello Everyone!

One of the best games I've ever purchased for the Dreamcast was Daytona USA.

Now, as you may or may not know, I missed the Sega Saturn boat in the mid 90's. So, the only time I ever got the chance to play Daytona Racing was at the arcade or at some obscure friend’s house that actually owned a Saturn.

A lot of people have very fond memories of the Saturn version of Daytona racing even amidst the numerous technical shortfalls (Pixels, pop ups,). Released in 1996 was another Daytona racing game title that was meant to be an upgrade to the already existing Saturn version this was called Daytona: Championship Circuit Edition.

Fast forward to 2001 where the last surviving Dreamcasters were rewarded with the chance to purchase a brand new Daytona Racing arcade port, this time with added tracks, graphics, and a very impressive frame rate.

The minute I popped in Daytona USA I fell in love with it. I'm a frame rate junky, I love games that run smoothly. I can't get enough of solid development. If a game sucks but runs well I'll still play it out of respect. Daytona USA on Dreamcast was a great game AND ran well so I was in heaven. Dreamcast heaven. Where all good gamers go when they pass on to the next world.

In this edition we have upgraded graphics, not smoothed out pixels but a fresh and vibrant look that only Dreamcast games were capable of bringing to the table. There soundtrack was still there with wonderful sound effects that were dead on. There was added content too, 5 new tracks, 6 unlockable cars, online racing mode, championship mode, single race mode, time attack mode, and VS mode with up to 4 players.

This game was truly impressive and they gave it's case and manual the same amount of love and care they gave the actual game. No corners were cut in its production. This was top notch. Sega handled this game like an antique dealer would handle his most prized artifact.

Let's talk controls. For some odd reason, and maybe this is human nature, people love to criticize this games controls. Now, in the NTSC version of the game there is an option to adjust the sensitivity of the analog stick. I for one have absolutely NO PROBLEM with the controls. I think they're fine. Many others though have issues with them. I believe they over exaggerate their claims.

That's my review. I can't say anymore than this. Solid game, Solid add ons, and in my opinion blows the original arcade cabinet right out of the water.

Your thoughts? Comments? Questions?
"Gaps do not get filled by ignoring them"

"Well, see these men follow no man but me......and I follow no man at all."

http://the-coolinator-lounge.blogspot.com/

dirtydav
stalker

Re: Daytona USA

Post#2 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:18 am

what they are saying about the controls is how you cant make "smooth" turns. Put the view in chase or something and when you turn you can see how its "jerky" and doesn't look like natural movements for a car.

I love this game. its a great arcade racer. one of the best! Super fun split screen. and its tough to get the #1 lap time making it have great replay value. The ONLY bad thing about this game is the weird ways the cars move, its not even the controls, they are very good.

TheCoolinator
Vagabond

Post#3 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:42 pm

dirtydav wrote:what they are saying about the controls is how you cant make "smooth" turns. Put the view in chase or something and when you turn you can see how its "jerky" and doesn't look like natural movements for a car.

I love this game. its a great arcade racer. one of the best! Super fun split screen. and its tough to get the #1 lap time making it have great replay value. The ONLY bad thing about this game is the weird ways the cars move, its not even the controls, they are very good.

Have you adjusted the analog sensitivity? Because if the controls were as jacked up as people say then I couldn't do half the crap I do in that game. Doing a turn drift at 180 mph isn't possible with jerky controls.Especially landing it correcly.

dirtydav
stalker

Post#4 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:40 pm

Like i said I have no problem with the controls. The only problem I have with the game is how the cars just look unnatural. I haven't messed with the settings because I have no reason to.

dirtydav
stalker

Post#5 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:40 pm

Good review BTW.

black flag nc
blackout!

Post#6 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:05 pm

Nice review Coolinator! Daytona USA kicks ass.
"Wait. It's a trick. Get an ax." -Ash

TheCoolinator
Vagabond

Post#7 » Tue May 11, 2010 8:23 pm

black flag nc wrote:Nice review Coolinator! Daytona USA kicks ass.

dirtydav wrote:Good review BTW.

Thanks all,

Best forum evar!

zektor
noob

Post#8 » Sat May 15, 2010 10:07 am

Nice review! Believe me when I say I am a BIG fan of this game. The Dreamcast port is graphically the most beautiful port ever created, but I do have to say that the Saturn port feels more true to the arcade. See, I used to play this in the arcade ALOT, and really got used to the feel of the game. When the Saturn arrived, the feel was there...although graphically it is not as smooth as the DC of course.

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#9 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:26 pm

I was under the impression that the VS mode was only for 2 players...

If someone can confirm it is 4 players, I'll probably buy this game this week.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#10 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:43 pm

Correct. The game only supports 2 Player local play. I don't think 4 players on screen would be good for this game. I would be afraid that it would hamper its impressive framerate as well as its solid visuals!
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news