Jet Grind Radio

A section to post your reviews of Dreamcast games. See rules for details.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Rating System: Please include a rating on the scale from 1 to 10. Make sure to put the name of the game in the topic title (game name must be first in the title) Example: 'Toy Racer Review by yadayadagames'. Also include a poll with options 1-10 other users can rate the game (you can add our own subtitles for each ranking or leave it blank). Example: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtop ... f=34&t=789

Poll: How much do you like the game?

2%
2%
No votes
No votes
2%
4%
4%
8%
19%
58%
Total votes: 48

Kaizoku ChaosStar
core

Re: Jet Grind Radio

Post#21 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:06 pm

I would say that this falls into the category of love it or hate it.
If you get the controls down and your reactions set for fast graffiti spraying you will like it. If you can't stand the controls or have bad reaction you don't wanna play the game again and you'll miss out on the representation and other qualities trying to do some sprayin' and grindin'.

I have a friend who tried it, sucked at it and immidiately slapped the "don't like" label on there. 'Nuff said.
Connection! Hooray!!!

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post#22 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:21 pm

10/10

Would've been 11/10 had it not been for the bad camera angles sometimes...

:ugeek:
Come, bow before your King!... Bow ya shits!...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new and sealed)

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#23 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:45 pm

It was, and still is, a great game on so many levels(excuse the pun). Like elmagicochrisg says, only the camera could be seen as a flaw.

It's hard to imagine, maybe with the exception of Shenmue, a game which was so revolutionary at the time in both it's concept and design. Inkie, a british graffiti artist, was a creative designer at Sega during that period and his influence in the game was strong.

With the inclusion of a smoother anti-aliasing it could be released today and still look fresh and futuristic. Everytime I put the game on it feels like I'm playing and enjoying a masterpiece.

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#24 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:39 am

Kaizoku ChaosStar wrote:I would say that this falls into the category of love it or hate it.
If you get the controls down and your reactions set for fast graffiti spraying you will like it. If you can't stand the controls or have bad reaction you don't wanna play the game again and you'll miss out on the representation and other qualities trying to do some sprayin' and grindin'.

I have a friend who tried it, sucked at it and immidiately slapped the "don't like" label on there. 'Nuff said.

without wishing to sound harsh here, if you haven't got the reflexes to play JSR you shouldn't really consider playing any modern games, (just in my opinion) I say this because I never found this game abnormally challenging, far from it the controls are actually a breeze, at least that's what I thought. I think your the first person I've ever heard to say that actually. The only part I would say you have to practice with a little is the patterns you pull to make the grafittis, but they are the same 3 patterns for each individual character, you just have to learn how much time you need to pull off the 3 different sizes, ie: small, medium or large.

I actually find games like KOTR far harder than such a simple, pick up and play game as JSR, theres far less to remember in JSR than most other games

This game for me is probably joint 3rd in my all time dc list, behind Shenmue 2 and Ikaruga. But this list changes every day lol
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post#25 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:24 pm

Some of the harder to reach spots do require some practise though...
Come, bow before your King!... Bow ya shits!...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new and sealed)

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#26 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:18 am

I never thought I was abnormally talented but I must have gotten pretty obsessed with this game because there wasn't anywhere I couldn't get too, mind you back then I was working part time and living at home so I played dc probably 20+ hours a week lol
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc

Zarbonific
noob

Post#27 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:59 pm

Cell shaded graphics, unique storyline, and wonderful music make this game one of my all-time favorites. I do admit, as some have already, that the camera can be a bit off at times, yet this rarely impedes the fun of the game.
I actually caught myself humming the tune of the character select screen a few days back. Ah, nostalgia...