Soul Fighter

A section to post your reviews of Dreamcast games. See rules for details.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Rating System: Please include a rating on the scale from 1 to 10. Make sure to put the name of the game in the topic title (game name must be first in the title) Example: 'Toy Racer Review by yadayadagames'. Also include a poll with options 1-10 other users can rate the game (you can add our own subtitles for each ranking or leave it blank). Example: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtop ... f=34&t=789

Poll: What do you think of the game

The game is an unplayable mess.
No votes
The game is awful.
13%
The game is bad.
No votes
The game is kind of bad.
13%
The game is ok.
No votes
The game is decent.
25%
The game is good.
25%
The game is great.
13%
The game is amazing.
13%
The game is perfect.
No votes
Total votes: 8

VKNIGHT20
core

Soul Fighter

Post#1 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:51 pm

I thought I would create a short review for one of, in my opinion, the most underrated arcade-style gems on the Dreamcast: Soul Fighter.

There are quite a few things that Soul Fighter can be criticized for. Picking up items can be rather hard to do, as well as the camera being a little wonky. The cutscenes (Specifically the opening ones) are hilariously bad from today's standards.

When it's good, however, it is a blast. You can think of the game like a 3d Golden Axe, with special moves and a Fantasy Setting. The gameplay is fun and engaging with hordes of enemies which feel amazing to take down. While some may call the moves slow and sluggish, I feel like the slower pace makes each attack feel more powerful. The Graphics are decently good, even if it's slightly muddy. I've only made it past the first two levels so far (They're fairly long), but the levels are designed fairly well with plenty of chests and places to backtrack. The boss fights are fairly challenging and intense, and they truly test your skills at the game.

Is the game perfect? No, not at all, but it succeeds at what it is trying to be: A pick up and play fun arcade style game. If you have the money I would go for it, and you will not be disappointed by what's instore.
John 3:16

beanboy
Wazza

Re: Soul Fighter

Post#2 » Mon May 10, 2021 6:17 pm

Anytime I hear Soul Fighter, the first thing that comes to mind is Soul Calibur. :lol:

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#3 » Tue May 11, 2021 10:09 pm

Doesn't work on vga no?

mkandersson1082
MegaDeath

Post#4 » Wed May 12, 2021 7:26 pm

I voted awful...I couldn't stand Soul Fighter. It plays worse than the Golden Axe remake on PS2.
Last edited by mkandersson1082 on Wed May 12, 2021 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zychion
rebel

Post#5 » Wed May 12, 2021 7:35 pm

I've played it a couple times and enjoyed it. I only wish it was VGA friendly so I didn't have to change my video connections to play it.

ShadowGeist
undertow

Post#6 » Wed May 12, 2021 8:25 pm

Chunky, Clunky, Fun!

beanboy wrote:Anytime I hear Soul Fighter, the first thing that comes to mind is Soul Calibur. :lol:

Soul Edge/Blade.

beanboy
Wazza

Post#7 » Fri May 14, 2021 3:24 pm

Yeah, Soul Edge/Blade. That is what I should have said. :)

beanboy
Wazza

Post#8 » Sat May 15, 2021 2:16 pm

After nearly 2 decades, I think it's time for a.........Soul Fighter 2. :mrgreen: