Possible modem/cable failure?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Xiden
Developer

Re: Possible modem/cable failure?

Post#11 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:12 pm

Kurasiu
fire

Post#12 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:04 pm

Thanks! I actually found a modem on our local selling site, quite cheap (20PLN), though it's a model A Japanese one. I know BBAs are not region locked, but what about modems? Will this one work on my PAL console?

Xerxes3rd
fire

Post#13 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:33 pm

As far as I know, the US modems work fine on PAL consoles.

Xiden
Developer

Post#14 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:36 pm

Dreamcast modems are not region locked :)

Kurasiu
fire

Post#15 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:54 pm

Alright, it works now! The Japanese modem came in today, plugged the thing to my Dreamcast, connected the same LVI cable and success! I connected in PSOv2 in the very first try!

...though now I wonder what happened to the old modem? I didn't do a thing to it, the whole Dreamcast was just sitting unused for around two weeks, and then all of sudden it stopped working. :/ Tried opening up and cleaning it, but it didn't do the trick.

But anyways, it's resolved now, thanks for everybody for their technical assistance. :)

Xiden
Developer

Post#16 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:59 pm

Kurasiu wrote:Alright, it works now! The Japanese modem came in today, plugged the thing to my Dreamcast, connected the same LVI cable and success! I connected in PSOv2 in the very first try!

...though now I wonder what happened to the old modem? I didn't do a thing to it, the whole Dreamcast was just sitting unused for around two weeks, and then all of sudden it stopped working. :/ Tried opening up and cleaning it, but it didn't do the trick.

But anyways, it's resolved now, thanks for everybody for their technical assistance. :)

I havent seen any images of the boards themselves or examined mine but it could be one of your capacitors crapped out on you thus causing you all those issues. Some components just break down over time

Kurasiu
fire

Post#17 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:07 pm

Haha, right. I own such beauties as Commodore 64 or Amiga 500/1200, which need to be checked every once in a while, as old chips and caps just love to fail in the least convenient moment. I was so busy examining the cable, I didn't really think about the DC modem failure. ;)

Anyways, thanks again for help! Currently playing some PSO online once again, and it feels great!