Unreal Tournament - Status

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

cee416
noob

Re: Unreal Tournament - Status

Post#141 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:29 am

Any new info regarding this game? I recently bought the PS2 version and it is dog shit compared to the DC version. I can't go back in time but I would love to play this online again. Has anyone tried hosting a local server via console command? Iirc you could create games using the (>host command but other players couldn't connect (using "connect 0.0.0.0" command) to your IP because the server was unlisted or possibly not online at all? I don't know much about the ut engine but most of the commands worked, perhaps trying to use the PC version to access the DC version is the wrong method? Maybe if we could get a local game listed on the master server a connection might be possible?

ncman071
Sunday Shootout

Post#142 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:37 am

i think shu and pcwzrd pretty much tried everything...its just one of those games where probably never come back online for dc...but we have tons of other games back online now so pretty amazing

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#143 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:43 am

I'm still trying to work various angles but I'm 90% certain at this point that the PC server is not compatible with the Dreamcast game and can't be easily modified to work with it. The only similarity is that they have the same initial connection process which is why you can get the game to show up in the master list on Dreamcast and attempt to connect to it. However, no amount of configuration or file changes will make any difference beyond a point. Trust me, I've tried pretty much everything, multiple times. lol

I'm certainly not giving up on it but playing around with the PC server is likely just a waste of time.

Also, to answer your question @cee416, the CONNECT command doesn't work on Dreamcast. Not that it makes much of a difference since all that would do is skip the need for a master server and getting it to show up in a master server isn't the issue.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Post#144 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:41 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:I'm still trying to work various angles but I'm 90% certain at this point that the PC server is not compatible with the Dreamcast game and can't be easily modified to work with it. The only similarity is that they have the same initial connection process which is why you can get the game to show up in the master list on Dreamcast and attempt to connect to it. However, no amount of configuration or file changes will make any difference beyond a point. Trust me, I've tried pretty much everything, multiple times. lol

I'm certainly not giving up on it but playing around with the PC server is likely just a waste of time.

Also, to answer your question @cee416, the CONNECT command doesn't work on Dreamcast. Not that it makes much of a difference since all that would do is skip the need for a master server and getting it to show up in a master server isn't the issue.

Your keeping the dream alive! Well get it back online one day ;)

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Post#145 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:11 pm

cee416 wrote:I recently bought the PS2 version and it is dog shit compared to the DC version.

Interesting to hear that you feel so strongly about the PS2 version - it's been years since I played that one, but a lot of people rate it for the extra skins, additional maps, Assault mode and a slightly better framerate. I've heard it's locked to 4 players per match though. In the end, I went with the Dreamcast version in case the online mode ever comes back. What do you dislike about the PS2 version?

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#146 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:20 pm

Anybody considered training an AI with all the hacks, wizardry, wince, xp, katana, DreamPI, Dreamcast server know-how and publicly available documentation. Would make an interesting experiment. Not quite there yet to unlock the unlockable but for a repository and to support new Devs who might need a leg up to work on this stuff it could prove useful and will only iterate in scale and functionality over time. I suppose for the Devs it might take a bit of the fun out of the digital archaeology of getting games back online.

Holsten
fragger

Post#147 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:03 pm

Cass wrote:Anybody considered training an AI with all the hacks, wizardry, wince, xp, katana, DreamPI, Dreamcast server know-how and publicly available documentation. Would make an interesting experiment. Not quite there yet to unlock the unlockable but for a repository and to support new Devs who might need a leg up to work on this stuff it could prove useful and will only iterate in scale and functionality over time. I suppose for the Devs it might take a bit of the fun out of the digital archaeology of getting games back online.

sounds like a terrible idea.
Holsten knallt am dollsten.

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#148 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:54 pm

Aye you're probably right. We moved our induction, training support and docs to an AI bot in work - it works pretty well according to the new starts. Not lost on me that a bot is now doing a chunk of my job - progress they tell me!

korni
shadow

Post#149 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:02 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:I'm still trying to work various angles but I'm 90% certain at this point that the PC server is not compatible with the Dreamcast game and can't be easily modified to work with it. The only similarity is that they have the same initial connection process which is why you can get the game to show up in the master list on Dreamcast and attempt to connect to it. However, no amount of configuration or file changes will make any difference beyond a point. Trust me, I've tried pretty much everything, multiple times. lol

Which version of the PC server are you using? The newer version (>v436) are incompatible with the older clients (the DC has v404). I understand that the PC server software is not fully compatible, but it might eliminate some bugs if you use an older version on the server side.
source: https://unreal.fandom.com/wiki/Unreal_T ... e_Client_2

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#150 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:48 pm

korni wrote:Which version of the PC server are you using?

I've tried multiple versions but mainly 413 which was released shortly after the Dreamcast game was released.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live