Connection guide??? Where is it?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Re: Connection guide??? Where is it?

Post#11 » Wed May 06, 2009 8:44 pm

1.user login ID--------- you should know your user name
2.user password--------- you should know your password
3.ISP phone number(s)------ you get this from your ISP,
4.DMS addresses------- you mean DNS!-- ignore it for the time being
5.email login ID-------- ignore this
6.Email password------- ignore this
7.Email return address POP3 server name----- ignore this
8.SMTP server name----- ignore this
9.Proxy server(if applicable)----- ignore this

as for the ISP portion. ISP means internet service provider. i am guessing you are on broadband. you need dial up internet for the Dreamcast. dial up requires a user name and password to connect. so find a dial up ISP and the rest will make sense.

sCI
lithium

Post#12 » Wed May 06, 2009 11:03 pm

OK, I went to juno and did some of the crap, however, me being the confused soul I am, I don't understand what the guide(http://dreamcast-talk.com/isplist.php) means when it says to encrypt the password. Does it mean that you nead to change your password on juno to the encrypted version?

I accedentally started installing it(I pressed the little "install" shortcut), but stoped before I was finished, so I'm not sure how that's going to affect anything....

This is what confuses me.."enter your password and press encrypt to recieve your new password you will need to use to log in with."

Login to where? this is why I think you have to change your password for juno.

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#13 » Wed May 06, 2009 11:52 pm

sCI wrote:This is what confuses me.."enter your password and press encrypt to recieve your new password you will need to use to log in with."

Login to where? this is why I think you have to change your password for juno.
i am not sure what the encrypt part is about. Impulse is going to have to help ya with that. or maybe someone else that has used Juno.

the part about login is for logging into Juno. kind of like signing into your email account. you would use that same log in name on your Dreamcast. only its called user name or something. anyway sorry i can't be of more help with Juno, i use a different ISP.

Ryochan7
Teriaaaaa

Post#14 » Thu May 07, 2009 12:13 am

You need to go to the page linked to in that paragraph. There is a form on that page where you can input your Juno password and it will give you the encrypted version of it. Use the encrypted version of your Juno password in your Dreamcast internet settings.

http://web.archive.org/web/200403020749 ... juno.shtml

sCI
lithium

Post#15 » Thu May 07, 2009 12:27 am

There is another aspect of this whole thing that has me stumped.

You are supposed to find a local phone# to connect to, but it also says you run the risk of paying for it or something like that.

Am I gonna end up with a bill in a month? I assumed this is supposed to be free. It also said "Add *67 to the long distance prefix to bypass the 10 hour per month access limit."
Ummmmmm what long-distanace prefix? I saw where to enter it, but where do you find the actual prefix that goes after it or before it?

Thanks all for your advice and help, I'm about to give up, I just forgot the reason why I even want to play pso online anyways.

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#16 » Thu May 07, 2009 12:45 am

sCI wrote:There is another aspect of this whole thing that has me stumped.

You are supposed to find a local phone# to connect to, but it also says you run the risk of paying for it or something like that.
i am not sure where to get Juno's local access numbers.

sCI wrote:Am I gonna end up with a bill in a month? I assumed this is supposed to be free. It also said "Add *67 to the long distance prefix to bypass the 10 hour per month access limit."
Ummmmmm what long-distanace prefix? I saw where to enter it, but where do you find the actual prefix that goes after it or before it?
first you need to find you local access numbers. then add *67 to the long distance field. ill make up a number to demonstrate. if the number was 123-456-7890 you would add *67 to either the long distance prefix or the local area code (124). if you get a local number from Juno it's not likely that you will need to to dial 1 for long distance. so just put *67 in that field. if done correctly your Dreamcast should dial *67-123-456-7890

Impulse
Admin

Post#17 » Sat May 09, 2009 10:54 pm

Hi, sCI. Welcome to the forums. Sorry for my late reply.

I have a link to the local access numbers on that page. http://my.juno.com/s/numbers?junoVersion=JU

There is one problem. I think that method for getting online with Juno is out of Date. Some people can get it to work and some can't. Unfortunately I can't help you much with it because I don't have the ability to test a dial up account.

You will not be billed for the free juno isp. Although you may be charged by your telephone company if you use a long distance access number.

How is your progress so far?
-Impulse

sCI
lithium

Post#18 » Sun May 10, 2009 3:05 pm

Well, as of now I'm taking a pso hiatus, like I usually end up doing.

I got a little frustrated with....simply, my ignorance. I got tired of asking a question every step of the way. I might try it again in the next couple weeks, but maybe not.

I was worried by previous posts that maybe I should go with another provider than juno...Should I? Whcih one?

When you say "if the number is long-distance", does that mean as long as I select a number with the same area code as I have, than it WON'T be long distance and I shouldn't have to worry about being billed.

I'm sorry guys, but this online thing is great...........until my brother gets a bill for phone-line usage he never made(I'm having to do this at his house for many reasons, I'll just leave it at that).
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's one more try though,

It says to encrypt the code BEFORE your install juno. But Supposedly you only need the encrypted code for the DC....what the fux?!?! I'm sorry, but that is so confusing to me.

Why would you need to encrypt the code before installing juno on your computer of you only use the encrypted codes on your DC???

What and why can't you access if you don't encrypt anything???

See, and the worts part is....nobody can answer these because nobody uses juno!!! hahahahaha. This online thing went from fun and easy to hell really quick, I can say that much.

Impulse
Admin

Post#19 » Sun May 10, 2009 11:21 pm

Setting up Juno to work on Dc can be confusing. You could probably avoid most of this mess just by paying for a cheap dial up isp. Check this site for a list of them: http://www.freedomlist.com/

Regarding long distance charges; yes, as long as you select a access number that has the same area code as you or close to you then you shouldn't have to worry about any charges.

Encrypting is needed to allow the Dc to connect with Juno. Otherwise you can't use juno on the Dc. You don't need to encrypt it for use on your PC.

Sorry it is not working out for you but free isps are really a pain and are not reliable. Juno is the only free one I know of atm, but try to search for some more.
-Impulse